View Single Post
Old 05-04-2020, 09:13 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
I liked it so much that I actually bought mine twice!

I was very happy with it, but didn’t carry it that often, so it became one of two pistols that I sold to buy a Triumph Bonnieville motorcycle.

A few months later, I called the guy I sold it to about buying it back. He’d sold it to “his gunsmith” three days before, and gave me the guy’s number. I called the “smith,” who advised that he’d done “a lot of upgrades” for the previous owner, so it’d cost me quite a bit more than I’d sold it for.

So, after the screaming cussfight with myself had subsided, and I could see again, I called up the guy that I’d sold it to, to see if he (maybe) had the correct box, magazines, and any of the original parts. Lo and behold; he had! I was able to get the box, both mags, and all of the original parts except the hammer, which he’d sold. A call to Brent Turchi, the Colt Custom Shop and Warranty Manager at the time, had the correct hammer on the way to me in short order.

So after a few months, and some mutilation by a couple of young guys who didn’t know any better; the Colt LW Government Model XSE came home, never to leave again!

Disclaimer: I’ll admit that towards the end of these last two months of being a “shut-in,” I gave some thought to fitting and/or dropping in those shiny drop in parts just for the entertainment. So far; good taste and common sense has prevailed.

Hopefully, what with starting to visit my Dad, and going to band practice, regularly again; I’ll be able to resist the temptation. I could always detail strip some of the other 10 1911s for some “bench time.”
You are to kind "those young guys who didn't know any better" Grumpy ol' Norwegian translation- couple of punk-ass morons that should never be allowed to touch a handgun. Any so called gunsmith worth his salt would or should have advised his customer what he had and implore him not to screw it up!
So you're one of "THOSE GUYS".... second chance Charlie! I wished for a long time to have run across my series 70 Combat Commander. I let it go as a young sailor to fix car.... In retrospect it was worth a helluva lot more than my 69' Cougar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Those are 2000+ CC’s , right?
900 - 1200 depending on the vintage and build request.

COTEP 439