View Single Post
Old 06-08-2017, 09:31 AM
COTEP Member

Default Part 4 Test Blue and Brass Blackening

Before rust bluing several parts, I decided to test a few random pieces to see how well they would take a blued finish.

Into the ultrasonic cleaner with some Dawn dishwasher detergent and 3 tablespoons of Lemi-Shine to remove all traces of dirt and any remaining finish:

Start of 1st cycle:

After 2nd cycle:

After rinsing, then keeping the parts stored in denatured alcohol I heated the parts to 200 degrees and applied the rust blue solution to the parts. I heated and applied the solution two more times, heating the parts between each application of the solution.

Two of the parts after three applications of heat and rust blue:

After the third application, the parts were placed in a pot of boiling water to start the chemical reaction:

After boiling for 10 minutes, I removed the parts carded off the remaining rust.

Before carding:

I repeated the heat, rust, boil, card on all of the test pieces three more times. I then heated the parts to 250 degrees to boil off any remaining water, then soaked the parts in oil overnight.

After Oil Bath Pleased with the color:

The Brass Buttplate had a large amount of corrosion. Since the corrosion has to be removed, the parts had to be completely cleaned.

Brass parts cleaned, you can see where the corrosion was bad:

As the buttplate was going to look ugly, I decided to blacken the brass. This will hide the corrosion, prevent it from corroding further, and will wear off of the high spots, giving it a unique patina.

First application of the blackening solution:

Second application:

After rinsing and a light buffing with 0000 steel wool:

Next Post: Small part bluing:

To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.

Last edited by AFJuvat; 06-08-2017 at 10:25 AM.