Thread: 1911 magazines
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 12:02 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFadda View Post
Here's what I do . I have 12 magazines that are kept unloaded until just before I go to the range. I then load them all to "one less than capacity". My 9mm mags get 8 instead of 9. When I get to the range, I can go directly to shooting without having to waste range time loading and reloading magazines. At the end of the session, all 12 mags are empty. If I run out of loaded mags, then I'll take the time to reload what I need.

On my EDC, I keep the magazine loaded most of the time, but once a week or so I empty the magazine and reload it with the same cartridges, mixing up the order. Why? constantly racking the same round into the chamber can cause the bullet to set itself back into the case. Every once in a while I'll also exchange the mag itself, since all my mags are proven to work "the first time, every time". Like you, I burn off my carry ammo every 6 months and load new stock.

Michael
Good post Michael, I'm very familiar with bullet setback due to repetitive chambering of same round. I never do this as I never unload my pistol unless I'm shooting the ammo in it. If I was to periodically unload it like you do, I would absolutely rotate the ammo until every round has been chambered twice, then shoot the ammo.