View Single Post
Old 04-17-2016, 11:31 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Paratus View Post
I'm blessed by my 99 year old next door neighbor. Commissioned in '39 in the cavalry, converted to armor, was an observer with the British Light Raiding Forces under Randolph Churchill in Lybia. Returned to the US and was part of Operation Torch invasion of North Africa, was at Kasserine. Invaded Sicily. Landed at Anzio and fought up the Italian Peninsula. Converted to aviation and flew artillery observation including 16" naval gunfire as well has helo dustoffs for the MASHes. Was shot down flying an arty observation mission by a mortar shell...retrieved just in time by the good guys. Was in Vietnam before we were in Vietnam...was at ground zero when a command detonation mine went off many in the area KIA he had many many shrapnel wounds and airblast damage. (In fact I had to use my letherman several years ago to remove a piece of shrapnel from his shoulder blade....it had worked through the skin and was bleeding so he told me to remove it). Returned stateside and was a key developer of the airmobile concept. Flew Hueys in both dustoff and gunship modes. Finally retired in 1970. His life since then is a story too. The greatest generation At least 3 Purple Hearts a DSC plus a bunch of others. As the son of a WWII vet and a Vet Myself I'm proud to call Col. John B. my friend.
Now that's just awesome right there. Tell him thank you for all of his service from us Cotepians.