Thread: 45 Super
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 09:48 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Lynne View Post
I've been studying this topic now for a long time and have finally decided that I like the ballistics of the 45 Super. I own a Rock Island 1911FS Tactical in 45acp and I have been told they are rated at 24,000psi chamber. I know the pressure on the Super is 27-28,000psi. Some people that I have talked to have said that just replacing the recoil, firing pin, and magazine springs and you should be fine. After months of research I thought the same thing. I was wrong according to a gunsmith from Armscor. I was told that unless the barrel is ramped, that it won't support enough of the cartridge to handle the pressure. Don't ask me why I want to do this conversion, because I just want to. It's my gun. What my question is, isdo I really need a ramped barrel, or is the additional web thickness enough?
Hi K-Lynne

I am not sure about 45 Super, But I am Sure about 38 Super and all of the guns that I build in 38 Super have ramped barrels ( even the Glock that I am working on).
I think you are playing with a lot of metal in your face if you do not use a ramped barrel. There is just not enough support for the round.