Thread: Groundbreaking
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2023, 11:27 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Paratus View Post
Well in this case this is simply the crawl space walls to support the frame house above. One of the building techniques that I looked at is Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF). The forms are built with insulation on them and then reinforced with rebar and poured. The outer surface is then veneered with what ever is desirable...stone, siding, brick etc. It produces a 4-6" thick reinforced concrete wall that is essentially bullet proof and storm proof. The only problem is that locally, when I researched it it was in the vicinity of $200+/SF and that is nothing but the poured walls and weather tight. No internal fixings, kitchens etc, no well and no septic. Not many local providers. If I was in tornado alley or in the hurricane prone coastal area ICF would have merited further consideration. Very few tornado totals here locally and the hurricane problems tend to be flooding or trees down on the structure. Site selection has remediated the flooding risk and the site prep has remediated the trees across structure risk.
I have thought about doing a small cabin using reinforced concrete blocks with a log "veneer" on the outside and paneling on the inside from my own trees. Gable-less sturdy metal roof.
I'd probably need a contractor to prepare the slab, but after that I can lay the concrete blocks myself as I have time and put in the rebar and pour concrete into the hollows.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell