COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Product Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Colt mags

Out of desperation, I tried some Colt brand mags in my Series 80, and they actually worked better than Wilsons. So I stocked up on them while they were on sale at Midway. (still on sale for $16.99)

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=815261

Then I did the unthinkable...I tried them in my DW! While not quite as good as the Wilsons in the DW, they are close. And at half the price of the Wilsons, they are a fantastic bargain.

As I said, they are not quite as good, meaning not every one of the mags is 100%. So every time I go to the range, I pick one mag and only use it. If it gets through the session with no malfunctions, it gets set aside as a contender. Any malfunctions, and it goes into the also-ran collection, along with the CMs and PMs. (I won't name names so as not to offend anyone's sensibilites ) Once all the mags have been vetted, those that pass will get base pads, and the "rejects" will all be used in the Colt (with which I don't require 100.00% reliability)

So far, I have identified two contenders and one also-ran. The two contenders now have Wilson glue-on base pads and I used them in Saturday's IDPA match with zero malfunctions.

On the left, a fully tested mag with Wilson glue-on base pad (which I used last Saturday in an IDPA match). In the center a reject. On the right, a mag that has not been fully tested.

Last edited by DrHenley; 06-14-2011 at 08:54 AM.