COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols > Dan Wesson

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2014, 10:33 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default DW and internal or external extractors

I know this can be a matter of heated debate. There are the purists that would not buy a 1911 with an external extractor. There are arguments as to which is better, more reliable, more durable, easier to adjust and so on.

What I'm interested in is when DW made the transition. I noticed two later Patriots I have, have external extractors. I also have a pre-CZ, barely pre-CZ RZ10 that has an internal extractor. All the DWs now have internal extractors. I notice both Kimber and SA use only internal extractors. SIG uses external on both their P-series and 1911s (at least the non-traditional line). However, there was a time when even with the P-series the guns had internal extractors.

Is one easier to manufacture? Is is largely, if not entirely, a technical decision based on the perceived benefits (whether real or imagined)? Are they simply easier to repair and replace?

Did DW always use external extractors from the time they started making 1911s or did they change to them at some point then change back? Anyone know?
COTEP CBOB #289

"Deserve's got nothing to do with it".

Tags
1911, extractor