COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > News and Politics

Old 01-21-2018, 08:34 PM
COTEP Member

Default G & A's 2017 "Best States for Gun Owners" list

The list came out in Nov., 2017 and was published on-line in December, 2017.

Guns & Ammo - 2017 Best States for Gun Owners List -

Some of the Highlights for this year -

#1 - As always, Arizona, unchanged.

#51 thru 44 saw a slight change - from 2016 (DC, NY, Mass, NJ, HI, CF, CT, MD in that order) - Mass dropped below NJ to #49.

FL regained the #12 Spot, this year! Up 1 from #13. They cited the change in SYG - Proof shifting back to the prosecution.

AK regained the #2 Spot from Kansas. Citing deletion of the Alaska requirement for a CLEO signature for NFA items.

TX, VT, PA and IL steady at 8, 20, 33 and 40 respectively.

Hope it helps!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FfNJGTFO For This Useful Post:
NAMVET72 (01-21-2018), Riverpigusmc (01-22-2018), sdmc530 (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 08:52 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,788 Times in 731 Posts

Don’t agree with the ranking but it’s a list. Sd is 25? Not sure how, we open carry, can get auto and silencers and a ccw is $10 per 5 years. No fingerprints, no class just not be a felon. Think it’s a bit off. But it’s my home state so is am bias too.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:53 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,481 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
Don’t agree with the ranking but it’s a list. Sd is 25? Not sure how, we open carry, can get auto and silencers and a ccw is $10 per 5 years. No fingerprints, no class just not be a felon. Think it’s a bit off. But it’s my home state so is am bias too.
it's coz of the snow and hockey........
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 01-21-2018, 09:01 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
If you look at the front of the article, it explains the logic behind the factors, including:

1) - Right to Carry -
2) - Black Rifles -
3) - NFA -
4) - Castle Doctrine -
5) - Miscelaneous -

South Dakota is, actually #32 for 2017. G & A's 2017 summary for SD is as follows:

Quote:
This is the point in our survey where we really start splitting hairs to differentiate the states. The South Dakota legislature passed a bill this year that would have legalized permitless carry but that bill was vetoed by Governor Daugaard. Open carry without a permit is already legal in the state and the existing CCW statute earns it 8 points. The state does not restrict the ownership of any firearms, gaining it full points in the Black Rifle and NFA categories. The state has a very pro-gun culture and earns near max points in the miscellaneous column. The only category preventing South Dakota from ranking in the top 20 is the state’s use-of-force laws which hurt it significantly.
So, apparently, there may be some quirks in the "use of deadly force" laws. Is there any "duty to retreat" in SD? Or are there other restrictions to "use of force?"
Old 01-21-2018, 09:37 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Well, I can tell you for sure that Georgia (#9) where I live, is nowhere near as gun-friendly as Mississippi (#16), where I'm from. They have made some improvements, but the laws are still vastly better in Mississippi. Easier licensing, more licensing options, some concealed carry without permit, open carry protected by State Constitution, state law, and case law, better Castle Doctrine, etc. etc. etc.

Oh, and if you were of a mind to, you could legally hunt deer with a 22, and squirrels with a 30-06. (both illegal in Georgia)

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

Last edited by DrHenley; 01-21-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:03 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,788 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
it's coz of the snow and hockey........

Well that might be a factor
Quote:
Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO View Post
If you look at the front of the article, it explains the logic behind the factors, including:

1) - Right to Carry -
2) - Black Rifles -
3) - NFA -
4) - Castle Doctrine -
5) - Miscelaneous -

South Dakota is, actually #32 for 2017. G & A's 2017 summary for SD is as follows:

So, apparently, there may be some quirks in the "use of deadly force" laws. Is there any "duty to retreat" in SD? Or are there other restrictions to "use of force?"

I don’t know what would make it so high I guess. You enter my home against my wanting you here or break in. I shoot you end of issue. The rest are pretty laid back here really. You go someplaces in sd and they still wear 6 shooters like the cowboy flicks....really it’s bad ass out west in some places.

I don’t know all the laws about guns and such but we pretty much allow anything so it just seems off I guess.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:36 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

The list says that IF Tennessee had enacted permitless carry in 2017, we would have jumped from #11 to a tie with Arizona for #1. TN still requires a CLEO signature for NFA items, BUT TN did pass legislation that forces the CLEO to sign all NFA paperwork within 15 days, as long as the person is not otherwise prohibited from owning. Snowflakes.... Please stay in California? You will be much much safer there. Only criminals have guns there.
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:55 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFadda View Post
The list says that IF Tennessee had enacted permitless carry in 2017, we would have jumped from #11 to a tie with Arizona for #1. TN still requires a CLEO signature for NFA items, BUT TN did pass legislation that forces the CLEO to sign all NFA paperwork within 15 days, as long as the person is not otherwise prohibited from owning. Snowflakes.... Please stay in California? You will be much much safer there. Only criminals have guns there.
Unfortunately, that's not good for TN that the CLEO still has to sign. After all, things can happen to that "paperwork" that can delay things beyond that 15 days...