Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 03-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
here in Dixie we don't have to carry unloaded guns

And I've had a license to carry concealed since 1977 in three different states. Just be nice to run up to the local Stop N Rob without throwing on a cover shirt over your pistol..sometimes I get halfway into town and have to go back and get one
Keep an extra shirt in your truck!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:55 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,481 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
Keep an extra shirt in your truck!
too much planning for a country boy

If Jake is with me, he reminds me..."daddy, better cover up your pistol"
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 03-16-2013, 11:28 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Sorry, but I never understood the concept of OC.
Maybe I can shed some light on that.

There haven't always been "shall issue" laws in most places. Once upon a time, in many jurisdictions, open carry was the only way you could legally carry a pistol. It was assumed that concealed carry was for nefarious purposes. Open carry was the "honest" way to carry a pistol.

Let's take Mississippi....Here is what the Mississippi State Constitution says:

Quote:
The right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person, or property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall not be called in question, but the legislature may regulate or forbid carrying concealed weapons.
On face value, it would seem that open carry is protected by the state constitution. And that is how people took it! Why would you hide the fact that you are armed, unless you had some nefarious purpose in mind?

This was the thinking, and I grew up with that mindset. So that profoundly affects my attitudes about open carry. I carried openly many times back when. People did not freak out at the sight of a gun, and as far as I know, I never even raised any eyebrows.

Then the courts started to rule that a "partially concealed" gun was concealed, meaning wearing it openly on your hip in a holster was carrying concealed! This was to get around the Mississippi State Constitution that only allowed the legislature to regulate concealed weapons!

I haven't lived in Mississippi in over two decades, but i do visit several time a year and hunt there. So I don't know if people are getting to where they freak out over guns. I know a lot of people here in Georgia do.

When the public is not used to seeing guns as much, I think it's only a matter of time before some people start freaking out.

One goal of open carry is to get people used to seeing citizens carry guns. To desensitize them to guns and make the presence of guns normal.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 03-17-2013, 05:20 AM
COTEP Member

We have open/concealed in WA State also and loaded both ways. Kalifornia is just stoopid.

Good judgment comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgment.

If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post
Maybe I can shed some light on that.

There haven't always been "shall issue" laws in most places. Once upon a time, in many jurisdictions, open carry was the only way you could legally carry a pistol. It was assumed that concealed carry was for nefarious purposes. Open carry was the "honest" way to carry a pistol.

Let's take Mississippi....Here is what the Mississippi State Constitution says:

On face value, it would seem that open carry is protected by the state constitution. And that is how people took it! Why would you hide the fact that you are armed, unless you had some nefarious purpose in mind?

This was the thinking, and I grew up with that mindset. So that profoundly affects my attitudes about open carry. I carried openly many times back when. People did not freak out at the sight of a gun, and as far as I know, I never even raised any eyebrows.

Then the courts started to rule that a "partially concealed" gun was concealed, meaning wearing it openly on your hip in a holster was carrying concealed! This was to get around the Mississippi State Constitution that only allowed the legislature to regulate concealed weapons!

I haven't lived in Mississippi in over two decades, but i do visit several time a year and hunt there. So I don't know if people are getting to where they freak out over guns. I know a lot of people here in Georgia do.

When the public is not used to seeing guns as much, I think it's only a matter of time before some people start freaking out.

One goal of open carry is to get people used to seeing citizens carry guns. To desensitize them to guns and make the presence of guns normal.
You took me too literally....I fully understand the concept! I was, as one might say, being sarcastic.

Your explanation, while valid for most of you southerner's, but out here in the liberal west...IT FREAKS PEOPLE OUT!!!!

Last edited by skosh69; 03-17-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:04 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Sorry, but I never understood the concept of OC. Up until a year ago, it was legal here in California, then it was banned.

I really never got into why you would want to walk around with an unloaded gun on your hip other than to say to everyone, "look at me, I'm a modern day John Wayne"!

If I'm a bad guy, the first person I'm gonna go after or smack down is the guy with the unloaded gun!

On another note, it never failed to amaze me the amount of azzhats that would OC just to get the public riled up and then get into a big confrontation with the cops about rights and such regarding OC. See youtube.com for a large amount of videos that people took of themselves arguing with the cops over their "right" to OC.

Sorry folks, if you want to carry a gun, get a permit and do it the right way.

Just my .02!
I would feel the same way...without the ammo, it's just a weight. And for what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
here in Dixie we don't have to carry unloaded guns
We get boolits in Missouri, too!

"The things that we fear are a weapon to be held against us." - Neil Peart
Old 03-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
You took me too literally....I fully understand the concept! I was, as one might say, being sarcastic.

Your explanation, while valid for most of you southerner's, but out here in the liberal west...IT FREAKS PEOPLE OUT!!!!
Most of us know better that to take you literally Ell.

Liberal west?
LIBERAL WEST???

How about Land of the Fairy picken, Shrub-Huggin Land-O-Preverts!!

IT FREAKS PEOPLE OUT!!!! WHAT PEOPLE???

Oh you must mean Queen Fienbitch and her royal court of panty wadders...
Seriously DUDE... You guys out there need to hem those squirrles in.

Another year on the loose, and you all will be forced to where the offical PRK uniform in public. PINK PANTYS and CORSET!!

COTEP 439