COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 03-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I love my Rocks and I would say that the Rock is a solid budget gun.

I have put my fair share of mod's into the one's that I have and I will continue to do so in the one's I have left that are not modified.

But I am moving in a different direction and that is in buying guns that don't need modification (i.e. Dan Wesson) or semi custom built guns.

My reason for this is that it has been a wear on me getting the gun/guns the way I want it them.

I am going to start buying or having the mod's to my guns' done in one full service place. That is the one thing that Rock Island can not offer.

We have a great life here in [Texas], and we're never going back to America again – Homer Simpson
Texans and Guns The All Mighty JMB
Old 03-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

While I have no where near the level of expertise as others who have posted in this thread, I will still offer my opinion. I have a couple of DWs, a Colt, and an STI. As previously stated, the RIAs are way out of proportion quality to cost wise. Mine is a commander. While it did have initial issue with FTF/FTE, RIA had it fixed and returned in 2 weeks with some additional tweaks done by Arnel just as an added bonus. The trigger is great for an entry level piece. Accuracy is spot on. It gets carried on a regular basis, just as do my other 1911s, with my absolute confidence it will work as needed should a situation arise where it has to protect me or my family. There is just no going wrong with purchasing one.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

..about RIA not having a custom shop.. with the new announcement of their new online store I'd really be surprised if they don't have that planned for the future ..too many people want a one stop shop

♤Sent via Tapatalk for Android♤
Old 03-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboy225 View Post
..about RIA not having a custom shop.. with the new announcement of their new online store I'd really be surprised if they don't have that planned for the future ..too many people want a one stop shop

♤Sent via Tapatalk for Android♤
That would be a big step in getting them to the next level.

I have been following them on Facebook and Martin is really making a lot of very good changes.

One interesting note Martin posted, late in 2012 he had 3000 gun come in and he sold them all in, I think, one day. During that same week he sold an additional 2800 that were on the water making their way to the U.S. He is now scrambling for additional inventory. They are making them as fast as they can turn them out.

They must doing something right.

We have a great life here in [Texas], and we're never going back to America again – Homer Simpson
Texans and Guns The All Mighty JMB
Old 03-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanks for providing your experience and opinions. While waiting for my Long Slide to return from Robar, (projected for April 17) I am pondering my next project. I am considering:

A 9mm 1911,
A 38 Super 1911,
A Coonan 357 Mag 1911

or, in a differnet direction, an AR.

NRA Member
:stand:

Last edited by Dave Waits; 03-23-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

Definitely a 38Super!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
Definitely a 38Super!
Dave,

Pardon my ignorance, but what would the significant difference be between a 38 Super and a 357 Magnum?

Best wishes,

Joe
NRA Member
:stand:

Last edited by MajO; 03-23-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Bad Grammar
Old 03-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Im late to the show, but I have to agree with everything said here. I started with a RIA GI in 45acp and it never missed a lick. For well under $400, I couldnt of asked for a better pistol.

I just bought a longslide Match recently, and that thing is one of the sweetest 1911s Ive encountered. The fit n finish on it blows much of it's higher priced competition out of the water. The Match models get hand fitted and you can tell. The slide feels like it rolls on bearings, the feedramp is highly polished, and everything is blended perfectly on the back end of the pistol.

I like my RIAs so much, that I sold my Ruger and ordered another GI....but this time in 38 super! I also am trading for a used, but never fired Tactical in 45acp next week to fill in as my daily carry that the Ruger used to serve as.

You cant go wrong with their pistols; and if you feel you did, Arnel and Ivan will make it right without any hassles ;-).

BTW, Im with Dave....38 super for your next project! Or knock out 2 of your wishes with one stone and get Arnel to send you an additional 9mm barrel for the 38 Super pistol. Someone on the big forum just did that.
COTEP #0443 USMC #0311
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." ~Robert E Lee
“The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crises maintain their neutrality.” ~Dante Alighieri
Old 03-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajO View Post
Dave,

Pardon my ignorance, but what would the significant difference be between a 38 Super and a 357 Magnum?

Best wishes,

Joe

sir, mainly one of capacity. Also, the 38Super is a good defense round on it's own. With lighter bullets, it's a hot rod just like a 357. Then there's the fact that no revolver can hide as easily as a Semi-Auto, especially a 1911. As stated in his post, you can also switch out with an extra 9mm barrel and bushing and have a dual-caliber platform.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajO View Post
I think that, given the right set of circumstances, both men and women pant.

That is as well... (the word that rhymes with "well")

I have learned today never to tangle with MajO, he is quick!

The Present is the instant flash of reality in which the ever approaching Future becomes the Past..................

The Constitution is my Caesar