COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Blades

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2014, 03:14 PM
COTEP Member

Default Knife Sheathes

and I were chatting about the new knife his soon to be bride just bought him, and I made the comment that the sheath that came with the knife is fine for outdoors, but not for carry as a concealed weapon.

I'm not the knife expert but since last year, I have immersed myself in the knife fighting culture with classes, books, and online sites. To be good for carry as a concealed weapon, a knife has to be securely encased in a good sheath that keeps it in place, while staying behind when you draw it.

For longer knives, I have found that a Commodore styled sheath works best. These sheaths are based loosely on the sheaths that the old Bowie fighters used, as well as the Spanish sword fighters.

I currently get all my knife sheathes from Panther Concealment (they also make my gun holsters). You can find them at http://pantherconcealment.com/.

They also make regular sheathes with a clip, similar to a gun sheath. I have one for my Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie. I have the commodore sheath from them for my Hen&Rooster. The new Laredo Bowie came with a leather commodore sheath that works pretty well.

So if you're considering a better way to carry your knives, I would recommend Panther. Also, one of our newer members (Rvrctyrngr, scott3) is one of the guys at Panther. Jim creates the sheaths and scott makes sure they work. scott is also a good person to ask about knives as he and another trainer are part of the reason I got into knives for self-defense. I'll post pictures from my phone to give you examples.
Caleb (07-24-2014), NAMVET72 (07-23-2014), Riverpigusmc (07-23-2014), sstpierre (07-27-2014), TLE2 (07-23-2014)