COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Pulling The Trigger > Range Reports

Old 06-28-2016, 10:50 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Ok, cause if you shoot closer it'll be hitting low. Gotta account for the scope higth in relation to the bore.

I suggest setting the scope to factory zero and try again or if you have another scope to verify its not the barrel/rifle.
It is a bit high, admittedly. I have it on a Burris P.E.P.R. mount. I'd show you a picture of it but I can't upload attachments, yet. If I mount it directly onto the upper's rail, it will get in the way of the charging handle. The PEPR mount keeps it higher and further forward of the charging handle.

I will reset it to factory zero and try again.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2016, 03:06 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

Quote:
Pshhhhh......Sniper my ass. Maybe a barn sniper.

The center group was with iron sights. The rest were a mag dump with red dot, whole rodeo was within 3 1/2 inches, insect boy
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 06-28-2016, 08:54 PM
COTEP Member

Gentlemen...I know took and oath to never tell the "sniper's secrets". I too, took an oath, but it was with a female in a bar, and when she ran out of money for my drinks all bets were off on the oath. Sooooooooo.....

Allow me to explain how snipers can hit human targets at 1000 yards.

Ya see, snipers have spotters. It is the spotters job to spot the human bad guy target, run over to said target, and hand him a wawkie tawkie. Once this is complete, said spotter haul asses back to . then drops his crosshairs on human bad guy and takes a shot. The spotter watches where the bullet goes and instructs human bad guy, via wawkie tawkie, to move in alignment with the bullet's path. then shoots again, and since the human bad guy has politely moved into the bullet's path, he is hit and killded. It's all that simple, almost the same as if you are shooting low you should raise your target.

There have been grumblings lately that budget cuts have removed the wawkie tawkie from the equation and the spotter has to run back and forth, REAL fast, to tell human bad guy where to move so he can be shot. I will be Teeing off on Parris Island this Friday at 8AM. I will verify the part on wawkie tawkies being removed due to budget constraints during said round of golf.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 06-28-2016, 09:00 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

my spotter was finally kicked out of the Corps...little guy from Maine. Only Marine I knew who stayed a private 4 years...hell on the spotting scope and calling dope, HORRIBLE behavior otherwise
S&W J-Frame .38
ect

COTEP #523
Old 06-28-2016, 09:25 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post

my spotter was finally kicked out of the Corps...little guy from Maine. Only Marine I knew who stayed a private 4 years...hell on the spotting scope and calling dope, HORRIBLE behavior otherwise
Like the Marine who called me from Savannah cause he was busted for drunk public urination at Bass Pro... ...I told call his Sarnt, he tells me Sarnt gave him my number.....nobody wants him...

Tee'd off at P.I. with a F-18 pilot...third hole....water down the left side of the fairway. Pilot tees up a brand new Pro V1 ball, about $5 a ball. Turns to me and say....Gonna go right in the water....he hooks the ball into the water......Repeats same maneuver three times, each time stating "gonna go right in the water"....I'm likkered up....."hey, flyboy, I need alot more confidence in my 25 million dollar aircraft". Full bird laughs so hard his stogie hits the dirt. I have so much fun up there.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 06-28-2016, 09:41 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts
Talking

Or try different rings,

BTW Da coyotes are hard to shoot from a stand that doesn't swivel or move, but we all know you have them on a leash or caged to shoot them
Old 06-29-2016, 12:10 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO View Post
I'm still trying to fine tune the sighting on my LE6920. I have a Bushnell "AR Optics 3x12-40" mounted on it. I'm on paper with the laser bore sighter, but I'm just slightly low, no mater what adjustments I make.
While you can mount the scope very low to the receiver, I'm not sure how easily it would be used in that config (unless you've got an especially malleable face). The standard tall sight height is due to the buffer tube being directly in-line with the barrel and bolt carrier.

Bullet impact will be low at some distances and high at others, so feel free to pick a zero distance and apply hold-over/under for others.

Last edited by Grizzman; 06-29-2016 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:26 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzman View Post
While you can mount the scope very low to the receiver, I'm not sure how easily it would be used in that config (unless you've got an especially malleable face). The standard tall sight height is due to the buffer tube being directly in-line with the barrel and bolt carrier.

Bullet impact will be low at some distances and high at others, so feel free to pick a zero distance and apply hold-over/under for others.
I should have clarified earlier. I posted above that I meant "low" meaning my placements are coming in low, relative to the bullseye, even though the reticle is dead on the bullseye. The scope is, actually, mounted high on a Burris P.E.P.R. mount, so that it clears (and is slightly forward of) the charging handle. No matter the adjustments I make to the scope, the placements are still just south of the bullseye.

I'm going to try some things Pig recommended (reset the scope to factory settings) and make sure the front support bag doesn't rest on the barrel.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2016, 07:30 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Quote:
Ok, cause if you shoot closer it'll be hitting low. Gotta account for the scope higth in relation to the bore.

I suggest setting the scope to factory zero and try again or if you have another scope to verify its not the barrel/rifle.
^this. You may need to get your scope closer to the bore, although it shouldn't matter THAT much. If you want an eye opener, zero it at 10 yards, then try shooting at 100. You'll be so high you won't even hit the target stand. BTW, use Photobucket to post pictures
S&W J-Frame .38
ect

COTEP #523

Last edited by Riverpigusmc; 06-30-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:43 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
^this. You may need to get your scope closer to the bore, although it shouldn't matter THAT much. If you want an eye opener, zero it at 10 yards, then try shooting at 100. You'll be so high you won't even hit the target stand. BTW, use Photobucket to post pictures
OK, then let me ask this. The original mount was just the standard rings I bought with the scope. They kept the scope lower (relative to the bore), but the eyepiece was also obstructing the charging handle. I was told by a firearms expert that I should not ever obstruct the charging handle. So I bought the Burris P.E.P.R. mount, which did raise it slightly and move it forward, keeping the charging handle clear.

Should I go back to the regular rings, even though it might obstruct the charging handle a little?

Thx.