COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 06-27-2016, 01:53 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
I'm a little late to the party and you've already received a lot good advice.
I like building rifles for a couple of reasons, customization, and I like working with my hands. I used to be a cabinetmaker, and loved building models as a kid. Even as an adult I used to build model RC cars. It's a matter of working with my hands then enjoying the finished product.
So, building things relaxes me.

I'm currently putting some money together for my next AR. I'm going to start with a Battlearms upper/receiver combination.
Going to start with this;
http://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com...r-receiver-set
Exactly why milling an 80% lower is on my list! Crafting something from parts and knowing the inner workings is something I enjoy.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:07 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Those B.A.D lower/uppers are sick! They have been on my wish list for a while now.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:10 PM
COTEP Member

Blackknight

Way out my financial means but very nice stuff there . I'm only going to be a little over $550.00 when done , not counting on some upgrades as I go .

Have fun it's going be a killer looking rig when it is done .
RIA 1911 .45 - 2 FM 9s M90 & M95- DPMS AR 15 Lower with PSA Upper SS 16 " - Rossi " Gallery " Remi 34 - Cimarron " El Malo 357 SA & assorted others - Leather worker - "Sorcerer Leather Works - Knife maker "B.A.D. BLADES

Desperta Ferro

Last edited by Arley; 06-27-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:40 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Exactly why milling an 80% lower is on my list! Crafting something from parts and knowing the inner workings is something I enjoy.
I wouldn't mind doing that except according to ATF that rifle dies with the owner. It cannot be sold or left to family.
I consider all my weapons assets. If I die first, my wife will sell them at current market value and use that money as she wishes. Same if I leave them to my children.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:56 PM
COTEP Member

Very excited PSA has shipped my stuff .

So stupid question . I have never put a rifle together from separate parts by different " Makers " Is there anything I need to do or check prior to shooting it ? I know about the safety checks but past that I m not sure .

Thanks ,

Arley
RIA 1911 .45 - 2 FM 9s M90 & M95- DPMS AR 15 Lower with PSA Upper SS 16 " - Rossi " Gallery " Remi 34 - Cimarron " El Malo 357 SA & assorted others - Leather worker - "Sorcerer Leather Works - Knife maker "B.A.D. BLADES

Desperta Ferro
Old 06-28-2016, 11:37 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
I wouldn't mind doing that except according to ATF that rifle dies with the owner. It cannot be sold or left to family.
I consider all my weapons assets. If I die first, my wife will sell them at current market value and use that money as she wishes. Same if I leave them to my children.
Actually you can sell it. As long as the original intent was to make it for yourself. Down the line you can sell it but you may need to engrave a serial number on it. I am not sure if things are different in NJ but according to federal guidelines it can be made transferable.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:39 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arley View Post
Very excited PSA has shipped my stuff .

So stupid question . I have never put a rifle together from separate parts by different " Makers " Is there anything I need to do or check prior to shooting it ? I know about the safety checks but past that I m not sure .

Thanks ,

Arley
The only thing you need to do is make sure the upper and lower fit well together. If they are loose there are plastic or rubber inserts you can use to tighten up the it between them. Mil spec insures that most parts are mix and match with little to no custom fitting.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:01 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Actually you can sell it. As long as the original intent was to make it for yourself. Down the line you can sell it but you may need to engrave a serial number on it. I am not sure if things are different in NJ but according to federal guidelines it can be made transferable.
That's not how I understood it. It's a federal thing not state.
I got it directly from an ATF agent I worked with for a number of years. According to him if you make and serialize it you in essence became a firearms manufacturer, thus need a federal license as well as to sell it.
Like I said I'd love to do one, though. I just don't want to take that chance. Even if I die and left it to my family I don't want to leave them with that headache.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:28 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
That's not how I understood it. It's a federal thing not state.
I got it directly from an ATF agent I worked with for a number of years. According to him if you make and serialize it you in essence became a firearms manufacturer, thus need a federal license as well as to sell it.
Like I said I'd love to do one, though. I just don't want to take that chance. Even if I die and left it to my family I don't want to leave them with that headache.

If you intend to make the. For sale then yes he is correct. However if you only intend to make them for yourself but later down the road need to transfer it then you can serialized it. It is the difference between it being a for profit business and a once or twice in a lifetime transfer. I will see if I can get the specific info just for research sake.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:40 PM
COTEP Member

Just got off the phone with ATF DC Branch. Under Federal guidelines you can MAKE a firearm from an 80% lower and transfer it without any markings to any person legally able to own a firearm as long as they are a resident of the same state or if it is left in a will to someone out of state. It does not need a serial number. Florida law allows private transfer between individuals without any paperwork as long as both individuals are legally able to possess that particular firearm. I asked specifically if I completed an 80% (unfinished, is the ATF term) lower receiver and I were to pass away would my family be able to sell it if they wanted to. Yes. So long as it is a legal sale as noted above.

When you complete a lower into a firearm you become a MAKER. You can make as many as you want. There is no limit that you hit and become a MANUFACTURER. A manufacturer manufacturers firearms as a business and is required to serialize product. You or I would be considered MAKERS, not MANUFACTURERS.

Now what your ATF agent may have meant was that under NJ law the transfer of a firearm may have different legalities. If you need to do a background check on private or family sales then you may also need a serial number. You can engrave any serial number you would like as long as it is not already used.

So if you were in FL and wanted to serialize your finished 80% lower as SN#BlackKnight then so be it. If you sell your finished lower to an individual you would probably want to serialize it and transfer it like a regular firearm. However in my case I want to make one to pass down. Yes they can still sell it but I hope it would mean enough to my family to keep it in the family.