COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 06-06-2016, 09:52 AM
COTEP Member

Default Building an AR 15 input please *** Pic now last page

Want to build an AR 15 223 . Is it cheaper than buying one all together .

Anyone done it cheaply . I can upgrade as time goes on as I did with my last one ( regret selling now ) Dumb a _ _ me .

Ideas on kits etc. ?
RIA 1911 .45 - 2 FM 9s M90 & M95- DPMS AR 15 Lower with PSA Upper SS 16 " - Rossi " Gallery " Remi 34 - Cimarron " El Malo 357 SA & assorted others - Leather worker - "Sorcerer Leather Works - Knife maker "B.A.D. BLADES

Desperta Ferro

Last edited by Arley; 07-08-2016 at 03:12 PM. Reason: new info.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arley For This Useful Post:
FfNJGTFO (06-06-2016), Gatorade (08-06-2016), RKP (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 10:48 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Three words...... Palmetto State Armory

You can catch daily deals on anything AR related. Uppers run $190 - $400. Lowers you can get them stripped or built. Stripped go from $40 - $100. Full lowers you can get them from $90 - $200. On the last sale I could of gotten a whole rifle from their kits for around $450. That's cheap!

Be warned tho with building your own. I do it all the time and it is not cheaper 'cause, I end up buying parts I really want and they usually cost more. My builds usually end up around $1100. But, you can build one for under $500.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:51 AM
COTEP Member

PalmettoStateArmory.com runs specials on built uppers and built lowers. They also have specials on unbuilt kits and then you can buy the individual parts. The cheapest way to go is buying the whole rifle. You usually get extras like magazines or cases you won't get when you build parts. Also if you add up the cost of the parts the built rifle is cheaper. Then factor that they built it and will warranty it then it is clear to buy the built rifle.

That being said a built rifle runs $600 and up. If my wife saw a $600 charge I would be in the dog house for sure. So over time I ordered parts and l now have 4 rifles. Also there were times that I had a couple hundred to spend but not $600 so it worked out for me to buy parts and build even though when you factor shipping I paid more for the same rifle built.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:03 AM
COTEP Member

Also make sure you have the tools to do the build. Depending on the handguard you choose you may need a barrel wrench. Or another proprietary wrench. Tools you will need for a complete stripped receiver build looks like:

Bench vise
Punch set
Vice grips
Screwdrivers
Torque wrench 1/2" or use adapter
Hex key set
Barrel wrench
Retaining ring pliers
Molly grease
Small hammer

There may be more tools like wood blocks or a special upper holder but I think that covers the tools. So factor the cost of tools you may need to buy into your cost as well.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:57 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arley View Post
Want to build an AR 15 223 . Is it cheaper than buying one all together .

Anyone done it cheaply . I can upgrade as time goes on as I did with my last one ( regret selling now ) Dumb a _ _ me .

Ideas on kits etc. ?
I don't know if this is where you'd like to go with this, but I recently built an LE6920 from an OEM-1 sub-assembly and used Magpul MOE furniture. I was able to get it all done (including optics) for around $1300.00.

Perhaps, you might find something similar in a .223.

Regards,
Arnold (Ff).
Old 06-06-2016, 01:50 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Also make sure you have the tools to do the build. Depending on the handguard you choose you may need a barrel wrench. Or another proprietary wrench. Tools you will need for a complete stripped receiver build looks like:

Bench vise
Punch set
Vise grips
Screwdrivers
Torque wrench 1/2" or use adapter
Hex key set
Barrel wrench
Retaining ring pliers
Molly grease
Small hammer

There may be more tools like wood blocks or a special upper holder but I think that covers the tools. So factor the cost of tools you may need to buy into your cost as well.
Hum, I've never needed these to assemble an AR.

You really don't need a vise either but, it definitely helps.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:58 PM
COTEP Member

I have all the tools needed including a vice ,
Thanks for the info .

I will need to piece it together because of funds available , plus liking to do this stuff .

"Idle hands " you know .
RIA 1911 .45 - 2 FM 9s M90 & M95- DPMS AR 15 Lower with PSA Upper SS 16 " - Rossi " Gallery " Remi 34 - Cimarron " El Malo 357 SA & assorted others - Leather worker - "Sorcerer Leather Works - Knife maker "B.A.D. BLADES

Desperta Ferro
Old 06-06-2016, 03:14 PM
COTEP Member

I never built an ar...never owned one.....building one seems like it would be a fun thing to do.....

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 06-06-2016, 03:55 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Hum, I've never needed these to assemble an AR.

You really don't need a vise either but, it definitely helps.

Ever since I learned how to squeeze those pins with the vice grips I have stopped using the punch and hammer for all but a few steps in assembly. The vise would be necessary with a standard barrel nut assembly. 30+lbs of torque is hard to do without a vise. Also timing the gas tube sometime requires small but strong movements.

Last edited by Gatorade; 06-06-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:01 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arley View Post
I have all the tools needed including a vice ,
Thanks for the info .

I will need to piece it together because of funds available , plus liking to do this stuff .

"Idle hands " you know .
Lower receiver and Bolt carrier group would be the hard things to get if election goes south.

I only set out to build one and now have 4 in two different caliber a with one SBR and a pistol. I also am a delta ring assembly away from having all the parts to build a complete upper from swapping parts on those four builds.