COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 12-26-2012, 06:28 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default NRA says "No!" To any gun control!

AFP - The NRA, the most powerful gun lobby in the United States, ruled out any support Sunday for greater regulation of firearms or ammunition magazines after the Sandy Hook elementary school massacre.

Wayne LaPierre, the executive vice president of the National Rifle Association, said planned legislation to outlaw military-style assault weapons and large-capacity magazines was "phony" and would not work.

He repeated the NRA's call to place an armed guard in every school and argued that prosecuting criminals and fixing the mental health system, rather than gun control, were the solutions to America's mass shooting epidemic.

On December 14, a disturbed local man, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, killed his mother in their Newtown, Connecticut home before embarking on a horrific spree at a local elementary school.

He burst into Sandy Hook elementary and shot dead 20 six- and seven-year old children and six adults with a military-style assault rifle before taking his own life with a handgun as police closed in.

The bloodshed reopened a national debate on gun laws.

President Barack Obama said he would support a new bill to ban assault rifles and put Vice President Joe Biden in charge of a panel looking at a wide range of other measures, from school security to mental health.

Democratic Senator Diane Feinstein has pledged to table a bill on January 3 that would ban at least 100 military-style semi-automatic assault weapons, and would curb the transfer, importation and the possession of such arms.

"I think that is a phony piece of legislation, and I do not believe it will pass for this reason," LaPierre told NBC's "Meet the Press." "It is all built on lies that have been found out."

"We don't think it works and we're not going to support it," he said.

The NRA points to the fact that the 1999 shooting at Columbine High School, when 12 kids and a teacher were gunned down by two senior students, occurred despite similar legislation being in force at the time.

"I don't think it will (work). I keep saying it, and you just won't accept it: it's not going to work, it hasn't worked. Dianne Feinstein had her (previous) ban and Columbine occurred," LaPierre said.

America has suffered an epidemic of gun violence over the last three decades including 62 mass shooting incidents since 1982. The vast majority of weapons used have been semi-automatic weapons obtained legally by the killers.

There were an estimated 310 million non-military firearms in the United States in 2009, roughly one per citizen, and people in America are 20 times more likely to be killed by a gun than someone in another developed country.

The NRA has been in the crosshairs since the Sandy Hook massacre and took the unusual step on Friday of holding a press conference and speaking out on the tragedy.

But rather than come out in support of limited gun control measures, the lobby -- which retains a powerful influence over politicians, especially from rural districts where gun owners are the norm -- demanded that armed police be deployed to every school in the country.

LaPierre reaffirmed that position on Sunday and launched a fierce defense of gun owners' rights, which he portrayed as being imperiled by rich folk in cities, elite politicians and a hysterical media.

"The average guy in the country values his freedom, doesn't believe the fact that he can own a gun is part of the problem and doesn't like the media and all these high-profile politicians blaming him," he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2356745.html
An unwavering National Rifle Association said Sunday that not a single new gun regulation would make children safer, that "a media machine" relishes blaming the gun industry for each new attack like the one that occurred at a Connecticut elementary school, and that a White House task force on gun violence may try to undermine the Second Amendment.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...n-appearances/
Leaders of the National Rifle Association said Sunday that they would fight any new gun restrictions introduced in Congress, and they made clear that they were not interested in working with President Obama to help develop a broad response to the Connecticut school massacre.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3460_162...c-weapons-ban/
Though alleged shooter Adam Lanza used a Bushmaster AR-15 rifle when he murdered 20 young children and six adults at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school - not five months after the same type of gun was used to kill 12 at an Aurora, Colo., movie theater - the National Rifle Association "will continue to oppose a ban on semiautomatic weapons," the organization's president David Keene said today on "Face the Nation."

You guys want a no-compromise gun group? You have one, it's called the NRA. I think it's time for me to upgrade to a lifetime membership!

Last edited by Roverron; 12-26-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:09 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Regardless of what the NRA says..... I still maintain my own opinion.

We can expect a bill that will return us to the days of "the ban," but this time, there will be no sunset provision. The gun takers learned their lesson on this the hard way the first time. In addition to the 1994 like bill (which by the way... .CONNECTICUT still has in force. They never sunsetted it!), we'll also see a ban on removable, external magazines, and mags with hi capacity. We'll be told... "you just don't need that." California is already trying to work around the "Bullet button" that requires you to use a tool or a bullet tip to remove your AR magazine, but I think that will be the national compromise. So... what you get is this:

You'll keep your semi autos, plastic or steel, but with a 10 shot limit. Most 1911's will be fine. We've been surviving on 7 for a very long time.

Any rifle with an external magazine, AND more than one of the five "evil features" will be banned. The 5 evil features are: Bayonet lug, pistol grip, collapsible stock, flash hider, external mag.

Any rifle with an external magazine will be required to have a Bullet button. ( I think that will be the compromise). The bullet button can be replaced rather easily, but I'll bet it will be permanent on new lowers.

Rifles with a magazine that loads from inside the pistol grip (Beretta Storm, Hi Point, etc) will be allowed, but limited to 10 rounds, and nothing will be able to extend past the pistol grip.

Nothwithstanding the NRA, this is what I think we are looking at happening on the national level. No, we will NOT lose our right to carry, but we can expect our right to choose will be whittled away slowly. The above will happen first, then..... "featureless rifles" will become the norm, then.... no semi auto, then no magazines.

Not being the type to call this conspiratorial... I'm just seeing this as a logical way for the left to ban guns eventually.

Your comments are more than welcome!

Da
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:14 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Dark days alhead regardless.
COTEP CCO0617
Eufaula, Alabama
Isaiah 6:8-10. 8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Old 12-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFadda View Post
Regardless of what the NRA says..... I still maintain my own opinion.

We can expect a bill that will return us to the days of "the ban," but this time, there will be no sunset provision. The gun takers learned their lesson on this the hard way the first time. In addition to the 1994 like bill (which by the way... .CONNECTICUT still has in force. They never sunsetted it!), we'll also see a ban on removable, external magazines, and mags with hi capacity. We'll be told... "you just don't need that." California is already trying to work around the "Bullet button" that requires you to use a tool or a bullet tip to remove your AR magazine, but I think that will be the national compromise. So... what you get is this:

You'll keep your semi autos, plastic or steel, but with a 10 shot limit. Most 1911's will be fine. We've been surviving on 7 for a very long time.

Any rifle with an external magazine, AND more than one of the five "evil features" will be banned. The 5 evil features are: Bayonet lug, pistol grip, collapsible stock, flash hider, external mag.

Any rifle with an external magazine will be required to have a Bullet button. ( I think that will be the compromise). The bullet button can be replaced rather easily, but I'll bet it will be permanent on new lowers.

Rifles with a magazine that loads from inside the pistol grip (Beretta Storm, Hi Point, etc) will be allowed, but limited to 10 rounds, and nothing will be able to extend past the pistol grip.

Nothwithstanding the NRA, this is what I think we are looking at happening on the national level. No, we will NOT lose our right to carry, but we can expect our right to choose will be whittled away slowly. The above will happen first, then..... "featureless rifles" will become the norm, then.... no semi auto, then no magazines.

Not being the type to call this conspiratorial... I'm just seeing this as a logical way for the left to ban guns eventually.

Your comments are more than welcome!

Da
If this is the case, there will be millions more felons in America. Only thing that I see happening is the mag capacity limit. I think that everyone relizes what a joke the first AWB was and how much this one will be too if it happens.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Titan.... what I've just described IS the 1994 ban, with the exception of the bullet button function. It is what CT has in effect now, and has had since 94. The Newtown killings were performed with post ban gun(s).

Yes, there will be more felons if this concept were to go through, but then again... isn't that what is wanted by the gun takers? To make us felons would take away our right to own ANY firearm. no? And most of us are law abiding people.

hmmmmm.
Da
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:28 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I don't see a ban on those evil black rifles, however I do see them trying to limit mags holding more than 10 rds. Hopefully, the republicans will do the right thing and not cave. Given time this will disappear. New Yorkshire strict gun laws didn't keep the lunatic madman from shooting firemen so my question to their stupid azzhat mayor boomberg is how would you stop yjis with more gun laws? You can't take guns from crazies and crooks, won't happen!
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 AM
COTEP Member

I'm going to sit out the prognostication on this one, except to say that I believe we will at the very least get the same ban we had last time.

I actually have one of those "Post Ban" black rifles and though it's a bit modified, I can get it back in Post Ban condition. I hope I will be able to keep it, even though it has a pistol grip and an external mag.

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ
Old 12-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Something is going to happen, that's for sure. They may keep me from buying certain things in the future, but they sure as hell won't get what I already have.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilmo View Post
Something is going to happen, that's for sure. They may keep me from buying certain things in the future, but they sure as hell won't get what I already have.
Nor will I think that it will affect anything that is already out there. Just future purchases......which as we all know, will solve absolutely nothing. What a pathetic state our country is in.

Last edited by titanse05; 12-27-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Connecticut's first Gun Control attempt looks like it will include:

-Prohibit the sale and possession of any rifle, shotgun or pistol magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds;
-Expand the definition of an ‘assault weapon’ under current Connecticut state law to apply to firearms which exhibit just one particular physical trait, as opposed to two (i.e., the presence of a pistol grip beneath the action of the weapon) which will make it an Assault Weapon and not legal in CT
-Require the registration with state law enforcement officials—and the biennial registration renewal—of all firearms by model and serial number;
-Institute a 50-percent sales tax on the sale of ammunition and firearms magazines;
-Require a permit to purchase ammunition;
-Prohibit the online purchase of ammunition;
-Prohibit the purchase of ammunition in Connecticut by anyone who is not legally authorized to possess a firearm in Connecticut;
- Prohibit the storage of firearms and ammunition in a manner that allows access by persons under age 18.

This legislation is written and ready to submit when the new Legislative session opens
DW PM-1S #106
www.danwessonforum.com