COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 04-14-2015, 06:04 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,229 Times in 288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
Your thread on the big forum got closed.....

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=487994

post number 3, Bob's (Arkie) answer says it all.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:38 PM
COTEP Member

I have never learned to appreciate striker or double action fired handguns. I am spoiled and have enough problems with old eyes and progressive lenses without making it any more complicated. I have nothing against light weight 1911 frames nor 1911 style plastic frames, in fact falling in love with my Wilson Combat Spec-Ops 9. Never owned or fired a Glock but respect their reputation for being work horse weapons.
NRA Life Member

I stand for the flag, I kneel for the fallen!

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:47 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
I carry a G17 daily. Two spare mags. Gives me, with one extended mag, fifty four rounds on board. My rounds are either Winchester Ranger T's or Federal HST, both in 147 grain. I have ran this G17 over 100K rounds, never replaced even one spring, and the barrel is not shot out. The G17 is rarely cleaned. Much as I love 1911's, they just cannot do what a G17 can.
+1000. All i carry is my Glock 19. It has been utterly reliable. I've never seen a slide flying forward, or any kind of malfunction of what's being described here. Maybe police departments need to train their people how to properly maintain them? I compete regularly in both IDPA and USPSA and I've never seen any of the failures mentioned.

Last edited by pitor; 04-14-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:04 PM
COTEP Member

Carried one, and many times two 1911's professionally for 28 years. A 1911 is still in rotation [ Ed Brown lw commander ] but not the primary carry today. That goes to the snub 357/38 [ two of them ] or the g17/26.

I trust all of them, some more than others. Based on over 250K through several 1911's and 120K in one of the g17's, also based on what I see students bring and have more issues with, the G17 is far and away more reliable overall.

Killed two sigs, a 226 in 75K and a 228 in 35K+. Only took a few years to do it for both. I like em though and I'd own another P series in a heartbeat.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

"The mind is the limiting factor"
Old 04-14-2015, 10:11 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

G19, G21SF and a G30. Compare that to my Dan Wesson CCO and my Dan Wesson Patriot? Hmmmm.... which to carry.. .which to carry... Dan Wesson wins ... again. All this said, IF IF IF... I had to bug out fast and furious.... the G19 and 21 would be in the bug out bag. Why? simply this. They are reliable. Yes my Dan Wessons are reliable also. But the Glocks would come too. Just sayin'

OH... what do I carry? Dan Wesson CCO
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:00 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar grips. View Post
post number 3, Bob's (Arkie) answer says it all.
Yep
Old 04-15-2015, 02:28 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I am down to one and it is my g20. I carry it sometimes in the winter if I get bored. It's my hunting pistol mainly though. I edc my XDs .45 currently and a shield 9mm on ocassion.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:59 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Howdy Pard's

Lets all talk what is real in the world.. That's right we might love 1911's, we might love wheel guns, we might love Glock's or M&P's but we are not being real.
We carry a gun or at least I do for protection. Not because I want to carry an extra 1.5-X Lbs on my side. I carry because I sometimes work in very bad areas and carry a lot of very expensive equipment I carry because I will defend my family to the end (day or night).
So some one asked me yesterday, why I carry in the day time and just today in a very good are of Palm Beach there was an armed robbery attempt at a shopping center and I rest my case (day or night, good area or bad) things happen to good people.
Yep, I build Custom Glock's for competition and carry. Yep, I shoot 1911's and 2011's all the time...But if I am not with a wheel gun (now the new Ruger LCR9mm) I am carrying a Glock,
We must Remember, that if you have to use it, and some day you might, you want in my mind two things, a gun that will go BANG every time and a gun that you can GIVE UP to the Authorities for at lest 6 months and not worry that you will get it back some day in the same condition that you gave it up.
Yep, we all say 1911 only thing to carry until you have to give up your $1K + prized 1911 and not know if or when it will be returned.
Giving up a $500+ or - gun as we might not like it is a lot easier to do.

So if it is not Sunday and you are out back making Lunch or Dinner and what to show off your BEAUTIFUL 1911 and Rig or you are not in a competition I would opt for the Plastic gun that goes Bang!

Well that is my $0.02 and my story and I am sticking to it

Old 04-15-2015, 02:15 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by girphoto View Post
Howdy Pard's

Lets all talk what is real in the world.. That's right we might love 1911's, we might love wheel guns, we might love Glock's or M&P's but we are not being real.
We carry a gun or at least I do for protection. Not because I want to carry an extra 1.5-X Lbs on my side. I carry because I sometimes work in very bad areas and carry a lot of very expensive equipment I carry because I will defend my family to the end (day or night).
So some one asked me yesterday, why I carry in the day time and just today in a very good are of Palm Beach there was an armed robbery attempt at a shopping center and I rest my case (day or night, good area or bad) things happen to good people.
Yep, I build Custom Glock's for competition and carry. Yep, I shoot 1911's and 2011's all the time...But if I am not with a wheel gun (now the new Ruger LCR9mm) I am carrying a Glock,
We must Remember, that if you have to use it, and some day you might, you want in my mind two things, a gun that will go BANG every time and a gun that you can GIVE UP to the Authorities for at lest 6 months and not worry that you will get it back some day in the same condition that you gave it up.
Yep, we all say 1911 only thing to carry until you have to give up your $1K + prized 1911 and not know if or when it will be returned.
Giving up a $500+ or - gun as we might not like it is a lot easier to do.

So if it is not Sunday and you are out back making Lunch or Dinner and what to show off your BEAUTIFUL 1911 and Rig or you are not in a competition I would opt for the Plastic gun that goes Bang!

Well that is my $0.02 and my story and I am sticking to it

Your are right, I mean you no disrespect but if I have to use a gun to protect myself or my family I don't give a damn about giving up a gun while the investigation goes on. Sucks yes, but its a gun, money, monetary item can be replaced. Lives can not so I am not liking that logic. The last thing I would worry about is my gun. But I don't always carry a 1911 either I carry a plastic gun depending on situation.

I get what you are saying, not knocking it but just have to agree to disagree. I think its more important to have a gun you know, trust and can rely on %100 percent all the time...that is the main point.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:45 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

And don't get the wrong Idea, I do not carry a Glock all of the time, as a matter of fact, I usually carry a wheel gun or a XDs most of the time...I also depending on where I am going carry a Glock, I would carry an M&P but I do not have one
But when you look and listen to everyone and their over $1K-5K 1911's, I think that not everyone takes into account, that if they had to use it that they would have to give it up.
Yes, I am with you, it makes no difference what you have or what it costs, you GO AND USE IT..
But I wonder how many CCW's actually think that if they had to use it they would have to give it up. The other thought is how many CCW's could actually draw down and use a weapon if they had to.
Would I, well yes but I watch folks at various ranges and in shoot house exercise and the world is different when some one is coming at you with a weapon or just trying to hit a piece of paper.

Any way, 1811, Glock, M&P, Wheel Gun as long as it goes Bang, I am there.