COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 01-28-2018, 05:31 PM
COTEP Member

Default Survival "Eats..."

If you were looking to "prepare" for a time when there might be a "food shortage," what would you buy, and how much? It should be food that:

1) Is relatively cheap to buy, up front and in decent quantities (Perhaps a 1-2 month's supply);

2) Will store for a long time, unprepared (à la MRE's).

3) Meets all the basic nutrition requirements (proteins, "good" carbs, etc.)...and will "fill you up..."

4) Fairly easy to prepare (i.e. "just boil water" or "nuke" it).

IIRC, Dana Loesch was hawking such a company that provided "survival meals" of this nature, but I forgot who they were and, also IIRC, they were a bit pricey for what you got.

No, I'm not privy to any future 411 on "shortages..." I was just thinking a bit ahead of the next Hurricane season, having dealt directly with Irma this past season. No better time to "stock up" than when you don't "need to."

Thoughts? Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FfNJGTFO For This Useful Post:
Caleb (01-28-2018), sdmc530 (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 05:45 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

MRE's and water for us. 3 months supply of both. AND the best thing is when they are within one year of expiring I can trade it in for new at a discounted price through work and they use it for field operations and such.....its a good deal.

MRE's that we get have the production date on them, so when they are 4 years old we trade up for new.....the company that makes our version says 5 years max. Dont know if that is early or not but I got no complaints. I keep it all in little pails that are air/water sealed. Then I place them in my rafters in my basement ceiling above the drywall. They are all tied together with a rope so I can just pull the rope out to have access. I make a makeshift plywood floor where nothing is going to hurt it and they are hidden, out of the way and we are good to go. Mine are due up next year so when I switch out I can take some pics.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:51 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
MRE's and water for us. 3 months supply of both. AND the best thing is when they are within one year of expiring I can trade it in for new at a discounted price through work and they use it for field operations and such.....its a good deal.

MRE's that we get have the production date on them, so when they are 4 years old we trade up for new.....the company that makes our version says 5 years max. Dont know if that is early or not but I got no complaints. I keep it all in little pails that are air/water sealed. Then I place them in my rafters in my basement ceiling above the drywall. They are all tied together with a rope so I can just pull the rope out to have access. I make a makeshift plywood floor where nothing is going to hurt it and they are hidden, out of the way and we are good to go. Mine are due up next year so when I switch out I can take some pics.
Thanks much! Unfortunately, I don't have any such rafters in which to do the storage.... I'd have to rely on my garage, but I'll figure that out later. The priority for me at present it getting the right kind of food, per my previous requirements. And I'd probably be looking to "recycle" the supply at regular intervals anyway so, no, it wouldn't be wasted. Maybe a 3 year cycle for me.

Would you have an URL I could browse for MRE recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2018, 08:48 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Sorry I get mine through work through a government contract so I don’t know a sources that is good for you actually. I pay something like $80 per case so that is about $7 per meal or so. Some are more. I have seen the pm on lots of online places like amazon and such. But just watch dates of mfg. cheap one have old dates. We ate one that was 7 years old and it was fine, no worse than a newer one. They are not great tasting but have over 1000 calories per so it’s a good source of fuel.

Yeah with my wife’s bigger house it’s nice to squirrel stuff there and not be in the way. The water is not stored in the rafters for a various of reasons but the foods are. Sorry if I gave that impression. That is not the case.

I doubt I currently have 3 months either, if I do the quick math it’s probably maybe 5-6 weeks for the 3 of us actually. I am assuming 4 mre for the 3 of us per day in a emergency situation.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:15 PM
COTEP Member

https://www.wisefoodstorage.com

Has pretty decent reviews from what I have seen.

Has a longer shelf life than MREs.

To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:22 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFJuvat View Post
https://www.wisefoodstorage.com

Has pretty decent reviews from what I have seen.

Has a longer shelf life than MREs.
Much appreciated... but they appear to be on the "pricey" side... I'm looking for something a little less expensive.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:36 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

Boy donut cop you would have never made it in the military when I was in NAM which was the 70s and our crations were from WWII. In little tin cams, IMHO some day you might have to eat those out dated MREs .

Old 01-29-2018, 09:53 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMVET72 View Post
Boy donut cop you would have never made it in the military when I was in NAM which was the 70s and our crations were from WWII. In little tin cams, IMHO some day you might have to eat those out dated MREs .

you mean they had cans when you were younger?

yeah my dad said they were pretty bad in NAM
Old 01-29-2018, 11:34 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Dried beans are cheap, stay good almost forever, and have pretty good survival nutrition.

Once you put away some conventional food, spend effort learning how and what to forage in the wilderness. I'm only a novice forager, but I'm absolutely amazed at how much free food is out there that nobody recognizes anymore.

Randall
Old 01-29-2018, 01:18 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallZ View Post
Dried beans are cheap, stay good almost forever, and have pretty good survival nutrition.

Once you put away some conventional food, spend effort learning how and what to forage in the wilderness. I'm only a novice forager, but I'm absolutely amazed at how much free food is out there that nobody recognizes anymore.

Randall
You know there is good advice for sure. I too need to read up on the forage skill myself.