COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 09-29-2014, 02:00 PM
COTEP Member

Default Gun, Caliber or maybe Romantic

We have all seen the "caliber wars".....I am guilty of starting threads on calibers and different types of bullets. For a learning process, of course. However, today isn't a pissin' match type question(s). We all have pistols. Some might be mainly for target, or weekly matches. And some may be for self home defense. And of course some are owned for a mixture of fun, self defense, even investment. But when it comes to shooting......

Do you choose the gun first?...meaning that some are so loyal to the 1911 platform it has to be .45 cal and they will carry nothing else.

Do you choose the round first?....meaning if it is, say 9mm, does it matter what gun you buy...say 1911 style or polymer style...long as it is your caliber of choice?

There is a sort of romance connected with 1911's. I get it. I get it so well I own 70+ of them. But I can buy a poly that shoots .45 that is lighter and holds more rounds. It will kill a bad guy just as dead as any other .45.

So what really motivates you to buy a particular pistol type?

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 09-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

romance is overrated and causes child support
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 09-29-2014, 02:40 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
romance is overrated and causes child support
***note to self...ah, forget it..

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 09-29-2014, 03:14 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I like different make, model, and calibers. So I go for reliable and dependable makes.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:51 PM
COTEP Member

I'm a casual fan of firearms but when it comes to handguns I like the classics.

I'll take .45 in Colt 1911's and my .38/.357 in S&W revolvers ... maybe the odd Ruger Security Six too
Old 09-29-2014, 06:18 PM
COTEP Member

Cool idea for a new post.

For those who want 'em, poly strikers are fine...but I'm not one of those folks. My flavor is 1911 because they speak to me (whatever the heck that means but sounds better than "turns me on" or "excites me").

I like .45 ACP a lot, so most of my handguns are in this caliber. 9 mm is fine but I enjoy shooting the .45s more. 9 has a nicer price, though. Recently had an opportunity to fire a .38 Super and really liked it. Liked it enough to purchase a guardian in this caliber. Should arrive later this week.

I like 1911s that shoot well, fit my hand well, nice balance, good fit and finish, and are pleasing to my eye. Examples of pleasing to the eye: I was attracted to my Baer Monolith because it looks so powerful. On the other hand, I loved the finely crafted lines of my DW PM-9, and ECO.

Hope this is what you were askiing.

Rick
Old 09-29-2014, 06:51 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,788 Times in 731 Posts

I only buy 1911's anymore. Have a block, Ruger that are not 1911 but the rest are 1911. I like the .45 and that is my normal purchase but I love the 10MM.....My preference would be a 10MM. You have to reload though so that brings back the .45 for playing around.
I am very satified with only ever shooting 1911's from here on out!
Old 09-29-2014, 08:43 PM
COTEP Member

I choose caliber first, could be 9 or 45, then the platform for it based on ergos/size and mission statement.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

"The mind is the limiting factor"
Old 09-29-2014, 08:56 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I shot 9mm in a SA/DA for years and had no romantic notion about 45 ACP in an Ol' Slab Side.

Then for a while it seemed like every gun rag had cover story after cover story about 1911s, so I decided to see what all the fuss was about and bought a used DW Panther at a pawn shop.

I discovered that the platform was a natural for me, almost effortless to shoot. My carry gun at the time was a Walther PP in 32 ACP, and I found that the 45 was more comfortable to shoot than the 32. And a helluvalot more comfortable to shoot than the next carry gun, a Charter 44 Special.

Oddly, my aluminum framed 3.3" Sig Ultra 1911 is just at comfortable to shoot as the 5" DW Panther. Really odd since my steel framed 3.5" RIA compact is not as comfortable to shoot as the Sig. Go figure...

I even ran an IDPA match with the Sig and did not feel like it was a handicap. Try THAT with whatever your favorite carry gun is...

And because my first 1911 was a DW, well the rest, as they say, is history...

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

Last edited by DrHenley; 09-29-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

Because: "If you want to win...this is the gun you will use." Chairman Cooper