COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > News and Politics

Old 01-22-2015, 08:45 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,607 Times in 418 Posts
Default ...man killed by NJ police

Quote:
Dashboard camera video appears to show man killed by NJ police raising his hands

Faintly on the video, Reid can be heard telling the officer, "I ain't doing nothing. I'm not reaching for nothing, bro. I ain't got no reason to reach for nothing."

Then one of the men in the car tells the officer, "I'm getting out and getting on the ground."

The officer again orders Reid not to move. Seconds later, Reid emerges from the car, raising his hands, which appear to be empty. Both officers fire immediately, shooting at least six rounds.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/22...ntcmp=trending

When a cop tells you not to move it's probably wise to listen to him/her. This individual apparently thought otherwise...
Old 01-22-2015, 09:35 PM
COTEP Member

Seen this video many times today......Gonna be interesting to watch this one.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 01-22-2015, 09:57 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

arguments for both sides. Fool shoulda listened, cops shoulda had more sense.
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 01-22-2015, 10:00 PM
COTEP Member

What should/could the cop have done differently? Remember, he knew the dead guy and his past...
Old 01-22-2015, 10:23 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbonz View Post
What should/could the cop have done differently? Remember, he knew the dead guy and his past...
Watch his hands. It's always the hands and eyes. If the hands drop below the shoulders quickly, kill him
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 01-22-2015, 11:01 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/22...ntcmp=trending

When a cop tells you not to move it's probably wise to listen to him/her. This individual apparently thought otherwise...
Yes of course you should always listen to the police, no argument there. But it seems Reid decided to do something he thought was in everyone's best interest, getting out and getting on the ground. To get shot like he did for that... very gray area in my opinion.

Going to be interesting to see this thing develop. With the way things are right now and the climate around police officers actions were every little thing is scrutinized ad nauseum, I would not be surprised to see this officer be put through the wringer.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
Yes of course you should always listen to the police, no argument there. But it seems Reid decided to do something he thought was in everyone's best interest, getting out and getting on the ground. To get shot like he did for that... very gray area in my opinion.

Going to be interesting to see this thing develop. With the way things are right now and the climate around police officers actions were every little thing is scrutinized ad nauseum, I would not be surprised to see this officer be put through the wringer.
This^^^^
Old 01-23-2015, 10:32 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
Next time Brownie comes to town for training attend his class. (I choose Brownie here because I know his abilities) Ask him to play the role of a BG. Stand in front of him, while holding a blue gun, at an open car door and demand he not move. Have him exit the vehicle, against your orders, while raising his hands as happened in this scenario. See what happens next....
Old 01-23-2015, 10:32 AM
COTEP Member

I am a little disappointed with Fox news because they cut the video to show the shooting before the non-compliance of the BG. Show it as it developed and the context or you only get an editors view of a situation.

Guy you know has at least one gun nearby decides to push the passenger door open despite being told not to move. His hands were still close to his body unlike the driver who had both arms out the window and had one arm restrained at least once by the officer. Seems like the passenger thought he was in control of the situation and was going to dictate where and how he would act. Not smart with a gun pointed at you.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:44 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Next time Brownie comes to town for training attend his class. (I choose Brownie here because I know his abilities) Ask him to play the role of a BG. Stand in front of him, while holding a blue gun, at an open car door and demand he not move. Have him exit the vehicle, against your orders, while raising his hands as happened in this scenario. See what happens next....
I understand where you're going with this Howard and you're right about hands, but Days could've stepped back with no problem and give Reid one last chance while watching him get on the ground. Let me state this clearly, I AGREE WITH EVERYONE HERE, IT WAS A POOR DECISION TO GET OUT OF THE CAR, BUT REID STATED HIS INTENTIONS VERY CLEARLY, REPEATEDLY. I con only imagine how hard the profession has turned out to be with the climate around LEOs as of lately, hence why he should've afforded Reid a chance to deliver on his promise to get on the ground. Worley had Days covered as he was behind Reid.

I know you can snatch someone's gun from up to 6' away, I've trained with Brownie both H2H and Quick Kill. Still gray area for a police officer IMO. Reid clearly stated his intentions over and over, clearly in an effort to de-escalate and do what HE THOUGHT (wrong IMO) was safest for everyone involved. I still don't quite understand why Worley, the white cop covering the driver side, had to shoot Reid in the back as it almost looked as knee-jerk reaction. Worley may be in more trouble than Days (black cop who shot Reid 6 times).

We'll see how all this plays out. I would be very nervous about this if I was Days or Worley, just sayin'...

Last edited by pitor; 01-23-2015 at 10:49 AM.