COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > News and Politics

Old 01-23-2015, 10:50 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbonz View Post
Next time Brownie comes to town for training attend his class. (I choose Brownie here because I know his abilities) Ask him to play the role of a BG. Stand in front of him, while holding a blue gun, at an open car door and demand he not move. Have him exit the vehicle, against your orders, while raising his hands as happened in this scenario. See what happens next....
I understand where you're going with this Howard and you're right about hands, but Days could've stepped back with no problem and give Reid one last chance while watching him get on the ground. Let me state this clearly, I AGREE WITH EVERYONE HERE, IT WAS A POOR DECISION TO GET OUT OF THE CAR, BUT REID STATED HIS INTENTIONS VERY CLEARLY, REPEATEDLY. I can only imagine how hard the profession has turned out to be with the climate around LEOs as of lately, hence why he should've afforded Reid a chance to deliver on his promise to get on the ground. Worley had Days covered as he was behind Reid.

I know you can snatch someone's gun from up to 6' away, I've trained with Brownie both H2H and Quick Kill. Still gray area for a police officer IMO. Reid clearly stated his intentions over and over, clearly in an effort to de-escalate and do what HE THOUGHT (wrong IMO) was safest for everyone involved. I still don't quite understand why Worley, the white cop covering the driver side, had to shoot Reid in the back as it almost looked as knee-jerk reaction. Worley may be in more trouble than Days (black cop who shot Reid 6 times).

We'll see how all this plays out. I would be very nervous about this if I was Days or Worley, just sayin'...
Old 01-23-2015, 10:50 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,607 Times in 418 Posts

Yes, the officer could have stepped back and by doing so given up control of the situation. The LEO must be in charge and the suspect must comply for things to work with a limited chance of failure. Could the LEO have handled things better? I have no doubt, but I'm not a cop. I have never been in that type of situation and have no idea what to expect or how I would react. So, I won't second guess, yet.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:51 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
We'll see how all this plays out. I would be very nervous about this if I was Days or Worley, just sayin'...
I am just guessing but I can only assume they are much happier seeing how this plays out than being the guest of honor at their funeral. Split second decisions are made and there is a cop in Arizona who probably wishes he acted faster with a BG. Oh wait I guess he isn't thinking that. He isn't thinking that because he is dead.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:04 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbonz View Post
Yes, the officer could have stepped back and by doing so given up control of the situation. The LEO must be in charge and the suspect must comply for things to work with a limited chance of failure. Could the LEO have handled things better? I have no doubt, but I'm not a cop. I have never been in that type of situation and have no idea what to expect or how I would react. So, I won't second guess, yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
I am just guessing but I can only assume they are much happier seeing how this plays out than being the guest of honor at their funeral. Split second decisions are made and there is a cop in Arizona who probably wishes he acted faster with a BG. Oh wait I guess he isn't thinking that. He isn't thinking that because he is dead.

Bonz you're right and I will do the same and stop second guessing myself. I get your point Gatorade and agree on split second decisions. I would not want to be in any of those shoes. I'll just wait to see how it plays out and I'm always thankful those two officers are still alive. Reid did have a very extensive rap sheet and had done 15 yrs in jail for shooting people in the past.