COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols > Dan Wesson

Old 07-05-2012, 12:59 AM
COTEP Member

Unhappy New DW Valor has significant peening on slide -- How normal is this?

I've put roughly 400 rounds through my month-old Valor and I noticed that both the slide stop and takedown notches show sign of peening, particularly the former. Fortunately, I don't see much of any wear on the slidestop lever as you can see. This is my first 1911 so I have nothing to compare it against.

Here are my questions:
  1. Did I get a lemon or is this normal for Valor's?
  2. Should I send it back to DW for warranty repair?
  3. Should I be concerned about safety and/or functioning issues?

Old 07-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

I had a small peening issue on my CCO that ended up being called "normal". You should send these pictures (which.. btw... are very very good) directly to Dan Wesson in NY for an opinion.

Da
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:47 AM
COTEP Member

Thanks for the reply. How much peening would you say I have in relation to your CCO's "normal" amount out of curiosity?

In either case, I just sent off an email with these pictures attached to [email protected]. I've heard great things about DW customer service, the name Keith keeps coming up, so I have high hopes I will be taken care of. This pistol is an absolute dream to shoot and it's everything I ever hoped my first 1911 would be (sans this problem of course.)
Old 07-06-2012, 06:07 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

your peening issue is more than mine.... I'd send DW the pictures.
Da
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:22 AM
COTEP Member

Hey guys I know this an old thread, but I'm wondering what became of the OPs Peening issue. I went to the range yesterday and when I came home I noticed the same issue on mine. I've about 600-700 rounds through it and I don't think it was like this last time I broke it down, or this much due to the metal shaving I found pushed to the front of the slide.

Should I contact DW or is this normal and wearing in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2015, 10:34 AM
COTEP Member

Looks like problem solved. Glen Davis from Dan Wesson got back to me.
"Unfortunately you are going to have some peening going on in this area due to the slide stop. It is normal to see. Good thing is that it will not continue to get worst. You can use a fine stone or file to remove any high spots if you would like."

Is he talking about high spots on the slide? Does anyone recommend a WC slide stop. I read they have a detent that prevents this?

Old 01-19-2015, 10:41 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

This is a non-issue. Changing the slide stop won't make it go away. This wear is typical of all 1911s with stainless steel slides.

The removal of high spots that the DW rep is referring to is any high spot that is created in the area can be removed by stoning or light filing.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:18 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanse05 View Post
This is a non-issue. Changing the slide stop won't make it go away. This wear is typical of all 1911s with stainless steel slides.

The removal of high spots that the DW rep is referring to is any high spot that is created in the area can be removed by stoning or light filing.
Uh; I don't think so.

Three of my 1911's have stainless slides, and none have any peening of the SS notches. The other four 1911's don't either.

The stainless slide ones are two Colts and one Kimber (I know).

I don't own any DW's though. Is there something different about the design of their slide stops that causes the peening?

Rick

IDPA/NRA Certified Safety Officer/Range S.O.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:43 AM
COTEP Member

Here's where it becomes debate. I saw some info where it's normal and some stating not normal. DW is telling me it's normal and won't wear down anymore after this. I am thinking that if it wears down more they consider that abnormal. I wonder if there is so much room for Peening before it is considered a defect. If they are saying it's normal, I am just glad I don't need to send it in. I do plan on hard chroming this pistol this year and am not sure if I should wait longer or if I will benefit from the harder finish.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:16 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
Is there something different about the design of their slide stops that causes the peening?
May be...

From top to bottom: Colt, DW, Sig - all stainless steel. Not a hint of peening on the Colt and Sig slides. Granted the DW has a higher round count, but the Colt and Sig have both been through IDPA matches.

The DW has a carbon steel slide stop, and the others have stainless slide stops.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell