COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Old 04-20-2015, 05:44 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default $$$ saving with reloading

I know I've asked about reloading before but I can't find the thread.

Need a hobby and think I can handle a single stage reloader.
What, if any, savings are there to be had by reloading 9mms and 45 ACPs?

Probably looking at a $600 startup cost and wondering how long before recouping initial investment and the truly realize the savings?

Thanks,

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdl2 For This Useful Post:
DaFadda (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

Jim it depends how much you reload and how much free time you have and how much brass you have.

I would look at the Rock Chucker Supreme Reloading Package, they have a Rebate right now.....................

BTW before I forget some of Hoard all the Brass We Get, especially Dafadda aka Padre....................

Last edited by NAMVET72; 04-20-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:00 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Heck this is an easy one. OK... I reload. Do NOT purchase reloading equipment thinking you will save money. You will just shoot more. "No brag, just fact"... (Think "Guns of Will Sonnet" circa 1974. Here are the facts. A Box of 45 acp fmj hardball is running around 22 dollars. I can produce 50 round of 45 for about 11 dollars. I now shoot twice as much. go figger.

All this said, IF you want to reload, then by all means do so... Just understand that its not a cost savings hobby. You'll become a much better shooter, shoot more, and never worry about "can I get my ammo"...

Just sayin'

Da
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:16 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Based on current prices, here are the costs of reloading 230 grain 45 ACP:

Magtech 230 grain FMJ: $21
CCI LP Primer $0.03
5 grains Bullseye Powder $0.02
Brass free (I've never bought brass for .45 ACP)
----------------------------------------------------
Total $0.27 per round
$27 per box of 100

Winchester White Box: $43.00/100

Gross Savings (not counting equipment) $16/100

The real savings however come with casting your own bullets.

Lead from scrap $0.01
CCI LP Primer $0.03
5 grains Bullseye Powder $0.02
----------------------------------------------------
Total $0.06 per round
$6.00 per box of 100.

Winchester White Box: $43.00/100

Gross Savings: $37 per box of 100.

You can get a complete setup (RCBS Spcial-5 Explorer Plus kit) for $379:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/828...tage-press-kit

So with your own cast bullets, you'll pay for it with just over 1000 rounds With commecial bullets, it will take a bit over 2000 rounds.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 04-20-2015, 06:39 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

You don't need 600 bucks to startup. Buy a Lee Classic Cast turret with dies and two turret heads, a good powder measure, a good beam scale and a tumbler. I believe has a Lee Turret and .45 dies for sale right now. PM him to see what he has.
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 04-20-2015, 06:54 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Yes, I do have a Lee Classic Turret for sale, plus other stuff.

COTEP #719

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
Old 04-20-2015, 09:14 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Like its been stated you do save no matter what set up you have but shoot more because of the savings. The real issue is the time it takes to reload. Before I got a Dillion I would spend hours and hours on a single stage. Now with progressive I load for a weekend or two and am good for a year, really. Shoot twice as much as I used too. the bad right now is powder....impossible to find. Everything else easy to get just powder is tough right now. Looking back I would reload again and again. I enjoy it and its just cool to tell people you make your own bullets....
Old 04-20-2015, 09:39 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFadda View Post
Heck this is an easy one. OK... I reload. Do NOT purchase reloading equipment thinking you will save money. You will just shoot more. "No brag, just fact"... (Think "Guns of Will Sonnet" circa 1974. Here are the facts. A Box of 45 acp fmj hardball is running around 22 dollars. I can produce 50 round of 45 for about 11 dollars. I now shoot twice as much. go figger.

All this said, IF you want to reload, then by all means do so... Just understand that its not a cost savings hobby. You'll become a much better shooter, shoot more, and never worry about "can I get my ammo"...

Just sayin'

Da
It's a valid point of view but I don't think it's linear as you propose. It is possible to reduce the cost of an established training regimen by loading over the long haul. I do agree that if you are a casual shooter and can reduce the cost per round,you will increase volume to match budget.

I think a more important aspect is ammuniton to match you and your weapon. Secondly and for me should probably be number 1, is the ability to tailor ammunition by mission and produce enough ammunition to really practice with the 'for record' rounds.
COTEP CCO0617
Eufaula, Alabama
Isaiah 6:8-10. 8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Old 04-20-2015, 11:12 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

All I'm going to say is "Go blue or go home". The owners of said colored machines know what I'm talking about.

Don't any of you take this the wrong way, meaning the single stage users, but using a single stage to load for plinking or competition SUCKS. Doing every move 5 times is a royal pain in the ass and consumes sooooo much time.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd spend more and buy a progressive press. 1 PULL, 1 BULLET!!!!.

And before anyone jumps in with "but loading on a single stage is safer 'cause you won't miss a charge or even double charge a load", that's wrong also. Anyone here remember my first reloading fiasco? I ain't ashamed to admit it, I got side tracked and missed 3 loads in 50.

I hate working hard, when I can work smart. Doing each step (depriming/sizing, hand priming, powder dumping, setting the bullet in the case and finally crimping) a couple hundred times for a match or enough loads for a good day at the range in my book sucks. Guess that's why I haven't gone out much lately.

Call me lazy, but I've just come to realize that I do not enjoy reloading on a single stage anymore. My next major purchase will be a Dillon 550 RL or if the God's bless me, the 650 XL

The only thing that has made life easier for my single stage setup is the powder thrower/dumper that sold me. That is it.

So, in closing, If you're retired or maybe have too much time on your hands or simply love to sit and spend hours doing just a few hundred bullets, great....buy a single stage. If not, I'd say look for a LEE Progressive 1000 press at a minimum or like I said in the beginning, "Go blue or go home".

Just a pino's 0.02

Crap, in all my ranting....I totally lost sight of the OP, yes...you save by reloading. For me I save about 2/3 the cost of buying manufactured ammo.

Last edited by skosh69; 04-20-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:36 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Skosh makes a good point... and no.... I don't think anyone will ever forget his squib loads. (ROFL , loveyaman). IF I were to buy a new machine I would go with a Dillon for speed. But I would still recommend for any beginner that they start with a single stage. Set up and fine tuning can be frustrating for a beginner, especially if they don't have someone with experience to work with.

hit it on the head when he suggested the Lee Classic 4 hole turret. Probably the best marriage between a progressive and a single stage. Its what I currently use. The turrets are removable, so you can "set and forget" your favorite calibers. I have turrets for 45, 38, 357,9mm, and just purchased spare turrets for 38 Super and 7.62x39. The turret can be used in single stage "batch mode" which is how I use it, OR in a semi progressive mode. Lee Classic turret kit is $209 at Cabelas last week.

The Col. also makes a good point in that you can tailor your rounds for what you want to do, and whoever said the real cost savings comes when you pour your own lead was also spot on. I don't cast my own bullets, and I buy JHP from Montana Gold at 172 or so per k for 230 grain. Bullet price will drop like a stone if you cast your own, but its just too much work for me.

Most important.... and you are already doing it... please ask anyone here your questions... we're here to help and support ya. Good luck with the hobby... OH... check out the threads in the reloading section for pics of workstations, favorite loads, etc.

Da
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.