COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > News and Politics

Old 08-24-2014, 11:12 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,547 Times in 465 Posts
Default Saw this coming, everybody should have!

http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...24&id=17879199
Pass it on.

Tax refunds may get hit due to health law credits

August 24, 2014 8:31 AM ET

By RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR

WASHINGTON (AP) - Taxes? Who wants to think about taxes around Labor Day?

But if you count on your tax refund and you're one of the millions getting tax credits to help pay health insurance premiums under President Barack Obama's law, it's not too early.

Here's why: If your income for 2014 is going to be higher than you estimated when you applied for health insurance, then complex connections between the health law and taxes can reduce or even eliminate your tax refund next year.

Maybe you're collecting more commissions in an improving economy. Or your spouse got a better job. It could trigger an unwelcome surprise.

The danger is that as your income grows, you don't qualify for as much of a tax credit. Any difference will come out of your tax refund, unless you have promptly reported the changes.

Nearly 7 million households have gotten health insurance tax credits, and major tax preparation companies say most of those consumers appear to be unaware of the risk.

"More than a third of tax credit recipients will owe some money back, and (that) can lead to some pretty hefty repayment liabilities," said George Brandes, vice president for health care programs at Jackson Hewitt Tax Service.

Thomas Jefferson
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by dw1911; 08-24-2014 at 11:49 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dw1911 For This Useful Post:
Caleb (08-24-2014), milkmanjoe (08-25-2014), TLE2 (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 12:11 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I'm aware of taxes: "quarterly" payment due 9/15 since I'm self employed.

COTEP #719

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
Old 08-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Obamacare...the gift that keeps on giving...

Have you heard about the Oregon debacle where Oracle, who developed the Oregon Obamacare site, and Oregon are suing each other over the failed web site?

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nation...822-story.html

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 08-25-2014, 10:58 AM
COTEP Member

If your subsidy was based on one figure and that figure changes higher, the subsidy will/would have been less to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

"The mind is the limiting factor"
Old 08-25-2014, 11:25 AM
COTEP Member

We do not get subsidized, but we pay out a salary in taxes to subsidize others.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 08-25-2014, 11:29 AM
COTEP Member

I refused to sign on for Ocare msyelf. I went back to the VA for another 3 years till SS kicks in. Then I'll still use the VA for most everything but 911 emergency medical help if needed.

I refused Ocare because too many docs won't accept those patients, like many who don't take Medicare patients

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

"The mind is the limiting factor"
Old 08-25-2014, 12:51 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie View Post
I refused to sign on for Ocare msyelf. I went back to the VA for another 3 years till SS kicks in. Then I'll still use the VA for most everything but 911 emergency medical help if needed.

I refused Ocare because too many docs won't accept those patients, like many who don't take Medicare patients
Yup, I won't name docs, but I hear of a few here in Florida that are very selective with regards to who the treat. I had one of my doctors refuse my health insurance, they are cash and carry now. I have great insurance, even mine doesn't pay enough.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:13 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Taxes

So, basically, if you make more money, you pay higher taxes and any refund you may have expected based on your lower income will be lower or you will not get a refund at all.

Or, if you were getting a tax credit based on your income and your income goes up, you probably will no longer qualify for the tax credit and therefore you will pay more tax and get a smaller refund or no refund at all.

How is this news? Why would this be a surprise to anyone?
COTEP CBOB #289

"Deserve's got nothing to do with it".
Old 08-26-2014, 08:02 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsmithjr View Post
How is this news? Why would this be a surprise to anyone?
Let me break it down for you...
  • Obamacare raised the cost of insurance for nearly eveyone.
  • To offset the cost of insurance they have subsidies to make it look like it's not as expensive as it really is.
  • So now instead of having affordable insurance, you have prohibitively costly insurance that is paid for by the taxpayers.
  • But because it is paid for by the taxpayers there are a labyrinth of regulations you have to abide by that almost nobody completely understands.
  • Some people, because of how much they were making when they APPLIED for Obamacare, were given a subsidy to make them believe that they have cheap insurance.
  • But because they could not see the future, they didn't realize that they DON'T actually qualify because of how much money they will make in the FUTURE.
  • So the "CHEAP" Obamacare insurance they THOUGHT they were getting is really *EXPENSIVE* because they will have to pay for it themselves - RETROACTIVELY.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

Last edited by DrHenley; 08-26-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:13 AM
COTEP Member

To me there are two problems here...... A poorly written law that is incomprehensible due to its volume.

Poor financial planning on peoples' parts. Really, it should be a very small part of the population who sees such a windfall that it screws them. I project income three years in advance, always come up short. But I try to do better.