COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Product Reviews

Old 06-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts
Default Adjustable rotor

I use a Little Dandy powder measure, and like it. However what I do NOT like is the fact that the rotors are 12 bucks each, there are 26 of them, and they seldom throw the charge on the chart.
After modifying one with JB Steelstick and a rasp bit to get the 5.1 gr of 231 I wanted, I started thinking...if I load a different weight bullet or many different type bullets, this is gonna suck purple possum p*cker. Gotta be a better, cheaper way. There is.
A guy from North Carolina who goes by the name Bailey on the handloader forums makes a stainless steel adjustable rotor...49 bucks shipped. It has a spring loaded insert in it...all you do is throw some charges, then leave the cavity pointed down and take the tool (supplied..it's like an anodized socket adaptor for a 1/4" socket) and turn it clockwise to increase the charge, or counter colockwise to decrease the charge.
It took me less than five minutes to install the rotor (after seasoning it with graphite), throw charges and get to exactly 5.1 grains of Winchester 231 time after time. Reason I like the Little Dandy is, it can either mount in a powder measure stand, or if you prefer, you can put your cases in loading blocks and use it handheld to charge cases..it's about the size of a small bong pipe (for all you dopers) and holds about a pound of ball powder. I'm pleased.

Out
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 06-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Founding Member
Admimberistrator

Cool, I was wondering if you were going to get one of those adjustable things. Sound neat, glad it works for ya.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,788 Times in 731 Posts

yep...worth every penny I have the RCBS big poweder dispencer and have the rcbs micrometer. ITs great and a time saver. You just go through the meter after you get it and dial up every 5 marks and get an average for that dial number then when you want to set up a powder charge its way way faster. Great investment for sure..can't imagine why I didn't get one right away.....
Old 06-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Glad it works for you!
COTEP CCO0617
Eufaula, Alabama
Isaiah 6:8-10. 8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"