COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 03-29-2021, 11:29 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
Yes, you may. It actually makes it easier if you know how and have the second part to the stripper clips that goes on the magazines. It's meant to load 10 rounds at a time into the magazines.

Thanks! I'll have to look into one of those "Stripper Loaders."
Old 03-29-2021, 01:27 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO View Post
Thanks! I'll have to look into one of those "Stripper Loaders."

That’s called a limousine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2021, 01:35 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Here's a quick video on how they're supposed to work.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:54 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

According to Sportsmans Outdoor >LINK

it comes with a stripper clip guide (also called a "spoon" by GIs). You just clip the spoon onto your mag & slip the stripper clip into the spoon. Then you just push on the top round and all 10 slide into the mag.

Be careful not to slide your thumb down the stripper clip. It can cut.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:13 PM
COTEP Member

Another Update: Unfortunately, the deal for the TAC-OPS Delta-51 LR rifle fell through. Simply enough, the TAC-OPS guy refused to quote me the full price for the weapon in writing. He always wanted me to contact him "by phone" to conduct all the price negotiations and, each time I did, the price went up another $1000.00. First time I called it was (roughly)$6000.00. At the next call, it was $7200.00. And he would never put in writing what that price covered (i.e weapon itself, options, optics, shipping, etc.). For all I know, I could fork over all that cash only to have him say (before final delivery), "Sorry.... it will cost another $3000.00..." And then where would I be?

I killed the deal. Too many red flags. So, now I'm looking at some other "stock built" LR rifles. Much less expensive (i.e. in the $1-2K range) and readily available. I see items from such brands as "Savage Arms," "Tikka," "HS Precision" and others. I'd appreciate your thoughts on which brands you'd recommend. I'm also seeing a caliber with which I'm not familiar (260 Remington). Is that a recommended caliber?

Thanks all! "When one door closes, another opens."
Old 04-02-2021, 08:34 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts
Default Building Confidence

Good choice in bailing on that cluster.

What max range are you looking at shooting?

I have one of my LR rifles for sale in the classifieds. It’ll shoot out to 900yds and hit with >10mph crosswinds if you do your part.

Last edited by Caleb; 04-02-2021 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:56 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO View Post
I'm also seeing a caliber with which I'm not familiar (260 Remington). Is that a recommended caliber?
Nothing inherently wrong with the 260 Remmy cartridge itself, but Remington screwed the pooch with the rifles they chambered for it when it first came out. The problem comes when you put it in a short action rifle and then don't have enough magazine length to seat it out enough for heavier bullets that you need for LR. So Remington optimized the rifles for 120 grain bullets...which kinda defeated the whole purpose of the cartridge.

With standard short action magazines you would need to seat the base of a heavy bullet DEEP into the case, reducing powder capacity. The Creedmoor solves this by using a shorter case leaving more room in a short action magazine for the bullet, and then raising the max pressure to allow the same performance as the 260 Remmy in a shorter case. The 6.5 Lapua takes it one step farther by shortening the case even more and using an even higher max pressure (blown primers are common in the Lapua).

In a single shot rifle you have no such limitations. I know of LR target shooters that love the 260 Remmy, but then they have single shot target rifles.

I had a single shot falling block chambered for it at one time, but the barrel was too light leading to rapid heat buildup in the barrel. Again, not the fault of the cartridge itself.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

Last edited by DrHenley; 04-03-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:27 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post
Nothing inherently wrong with the 260 Remmy cartridge itself, but Remington screwed the pooch with the rifles they chambered for it when it first came out. The problem comes when you put it in a short action rifle and then don't have enough magazine length to seat it out enough for heavier bullets that you need for LR. So Remington optimized the rifles for 120 grain bullets...which kinda defeated the whole purpose of the cartridge.

With standard short action magazines you would need to seat the base of a heavy bullet DEEP into the case, reducing powder capacity. The Creedmoor solves this by using a shorter case leaving more room in a short action magazine for the bullet, and then raising the max pressure to allow the same performance as the 260 Remmy in a shorter case. The 6.5 Lapua takes it one step farther by shortening the case even more and using an even higher max pressure (blown primers are common in the Lapua).

In a single shot rifle you have no such limitations. I know of LR target shooters that love the 260 Remmy, but then they have single shot target rifles.

I had a single shot falling block chambered for it at one time, but the barrel was too light leading to rapid heat buildup in the barrel. Again, not the fault of the cartridge itself.

OK Thanks! I'll most likely stick with .308 Winchester. There are some good deals on those. Is Savage Arms a good manufacturer? I see some good choices for those. Also, how about Tikka?
Old 04-03-2021, 09:30 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Good choice in bailing on that cluster.

What max range are you looking at shooting?

I have one of my LR rifles for sale in the classifieds. It’ll shoot out to 900yds and hit with >10mph crosswinds if you do your part.

I was looking at 1000 yds, max. I am checking the list items I see for effective range, but few disclose that. I have to cross check against the manufacturer's specs for the rifle.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:30 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

1000 is possible with a 308 but only with certain bullets. I think the big thing now is what ammo or reloading bullets can you find?

Here are a couple of loads available at Midway that will do 1000 yards easily with very low drag bullets. But you will have to try different loads to see which one the rifle likes, and at the moment, there isn't much available, either loaded ammo or component bullets.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/953728886

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102335492

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell