COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Old 05-26-2014, 07:34 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

Default Why we don't use Steel-cased rounds in our Garands children.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave Waits For This Useful Post:
Caleb (05-26-2014), milkmanjoe (05-26-2014), Riverpigusmc (05-26-2014), ronpaul50 (05-26-2014), Xbonz (05-26-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 07:52 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

I don't shoot that commie ammo in anything I own
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 05-26-2014, 08:33 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,788 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
I don't shoot that commie ammo in anything I own
AMEN....Roll your own....that way you can only blame your self too...Right
Old 05-26-2014, 08:44 PM
COTEP Member

That ammo is actually recommended for the PTR - 91PDW .308 pistol...Hmmm
And I have ALOT of it, went on a spending spree two years ago....uh-oh

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:50 PM
COTEP Member

Agreed, no steel case for my guns ... EVER! Good on Cabela's for making the guy whole.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:22 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

I'm glad the guy walked away with no injuries. Good on Cabelas for making it right.

I have shot Herters out of the 303 Brit and Mosin, I'm glad I don't have any left.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:53 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Every Dan Wesson 1911 I own has been broken in on tula. first 1000 rounds at least. Since i have young kids and an active life, and a lovely wife. I choose not to reload. I have never had an issue with tula, period. 10's of thousands of rounds. Not saying their product is perfect, it stinks, it is dirty, yet it goes bang. It also fits in the 9mm match chambers of the guardian and pm9, along with the 45 chambers. Where as other cheaper ammo like winchester, umc, magtech, pri part, etc does not always seat fully.

While this may have been an over pressure. I did not see that. To me it looked like an out of battery detonation. That is the only way i see the case splitting, ripping at the base like that. Personally I believe there was some build up of gunk, likely from the ammo or poor cleaning, in the chamber. This kept the bullet from seating fully into the chamber. After a few rounds it built up to the point of keeping the back of the case out of battery. Then boom.

Another cause could have been poorly seated bullets. as he fired the first few rounds the remaining bullets moved further forward. elongating the OAL. Finally the cases was not supported and boom.

Both of these can cause this issue at standard pressures. I have seen over pressure failures and they are far more catastrophic. If the cartridge had been in battery, an over pressure would have blown the whole barrel along with the breach like it did. In my exp out of battery detonations only blow the case and the breach. Causing damage to the breach, action and stock.

I had an over pressure in battery detonation on a 22lr pistol. it bulged the barrel to the point it would not come off the slide. Sig replaced it no issues. the rear of the case did not split. That same gun had numerous out of battery detonations, because i only cleaned it when i wanted to torture myself. Every out of battery detonation the case split exactly in this way. I have also seen it on a few center fire rifles of pistol caliber. (older lever actions) chambered in 38/357. where the home reloads were not crimped enough. After a few rounds boom.

My 2 cents in a world of twenty dollar bills.

Last edited by Grouse; 05-27-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:25 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
Every Dan Wesson 1911 I own has been broken in on tula. first 1000 rounds at least. Since i have young kids and an active life, and a lovely wife. I choose not to reload. I have never had an issue with tula, period. 10's of thousands of rounds. Not saying their product is perfect, it stinks, it is dirty, yet it goes bang. It also fits in the 9mm match chambers of the guardian and pm9, along with the 45 chambers. Where as other cheaper ammo like winchester, umc, magtech, pri part, etc does not always seat fully.

While this may have been an over pressure. I did not see that. To me it looked like an out of battery detonation. That is the only way i see the case splitting, ripping at the base like that. Personally I believe there was some build up of gunk, likely from the ammo or poor cleaning, in the chamber. This kept the bullet from seating fully into the chamber. After a few rounds it built up to the point of keeping the back of the case out of battery. Then boom.

Another cause could have been poorly seated bullets. as he fired the first few rounds the remaining bullets moved further forward. elongating the OAL. Finally the cases was not supported and boom.

Both of these can cause this issue at standard pressures. I have seen over pressure failures and they are far more catastrophic. If the cartridge had been in battery, an over pressure would have blown the whole barrel along with the breach like it did. In my exp out of battery detonations only blow the case and the breach. Causing damage to the breach, action and stock.

I had an over pressure in battery detonation on a 22lr pistol. it bulged the barrel to the point it would not come off the slide. Sig replaced it no issues. the rear of the case did not split. That same gun had numerous out of battery detonations, because i only cleaned it when i wanted to torture myself. Every out of battery detonation the case split exactly in this way. I have also seen it on a few center fire rifles of pistol caliber. (older lever actions) chambered in 38/357. where the home reloads were not crimped enough. After a few rounds boom.

My 2 cents in a world of twenty dollar bills.
I though it was out of battery detonation too. The pic gave it away to me. I have tons of .308 in this ammo, and cannot find any recalls on Herters. Either way, I'm gonna shots it in the PTR platform, and my M1A's stay on the diet of brass. The fluted chamber in the PTR guns rips the hell outta brass, literally gouges it.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 05-27-2014, 02:25 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
I though it was out of battery detonation too. The pic gave it away to me. I have tons of .308 in this ammo, and cannot find any recalls on Herters. Either way, I'm gonna shots it in the PTR platform, and my M1A's stay on the diet of brass. The fluted chamber in the PTR guns rips the hell outta brass, literally gouges it.
I don't think the Garand will fire unless it is in full battery, Dave will know more on that. The casing in the pic is after he "unstuck" the oprod, it could of pulled the casing out just a little. IDK, wish we had more info.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:53 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCaleb View Post
I don't think the Garand will fire unless it is in full battery, Dave will know more on that. The casing in the pic is after he "unstuck" the oprod, it could of pulled the casing out just a little. IDK, wish we had more info.
I am waiting for Dave too. Then I wonder, is it because this is steel ammo in general or is it the maunfacturer? I am very leery of the guy in the video for some reason. Almost like I remember some reason to be and can't recall it. Oh well, hafta wait for the main gazzaine to hear it from the world of reason and experience.
And now I am wondering what difference, if any, a fluted chamber makes.