COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 05-25-2023, 09:39 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
Taurus is having a recall on the GX4, so there's that..

I think I am going to pass. I am a buy once cry once cry type of person so will just hold off getting a 9mm 1911...someday
Old 05-25-2023, 10:18 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

On one of my RIAs, a compact, the receiver is actually pretty good but the slide is awful in just about every way imaginable. I put a Kimber compact 22 slide on the receiver and that combination is very close in size and weight to my Sig Ultra Compact 45 carry gun. (RIA w/22 slide has aluminum slide and steel frame, and Sig has steel slide and aluminum frame). I then completed the build with an extended magwell and G10 grips similar to the ones on the Sig. So I can take the RIA/Kimber (RImber?) to the range and shoot a bunch of 22 ammo through it, then seamlessly switch over to the SIG which feels exactly the same.

Every once in a while I kind of forget why the RIA slide is awful and put it back on and take it to the range and immediately remember why I don't shoot it. Maybe I should get a Caspian slide for it.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

Last edited by DrHenley; 05-25-2023 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:57 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

An oddity with the RIA compact that I cannot understand. Although it is a full 3/4 pound heavier (42% heavier) than the aluminum frame Sig Ultra Compact, it has more felt recoil than the Sig. That seems to defy the laws of physics.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 05-25-2023, 08:37 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
kind of hurt my feelings there
You are law enforcement if you needed feelings the would have either issued them or provided an allowance to buy them
Old 05-25-2023, 08:49 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Paratus View Post
You are law enforcement if you needed feelings the would have either issued them or provided an allowance to buy them
Yeap. Mine were removed when I got on the job. Why I can tolerate .

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 05-26-2023, 10:13 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
Very correct, why my hesitation. Now I have two RIA, both are great shooters. Never had an issue with either one. But I have a buddy who has one and it never has been right even after some warranty work. Just not a good gun.

So do I. Never had an issue with either of mine. One of them I intend to give to my niece whenever she sends me her DL info.
Old 05-26-2023, 11:02 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Quote:
Gee I'm sorry that you love a soulless inanimate hunk of striker fired plastic. At least 1911 and derivatives have a soul. At best a grock is a tool...kind of like one found in the K-Mart starter sets...semi functional but no pride.
let's give a break here. He IS a motor trooper and therefore has most likely had to drink the Glock Kool-Aid. I'd like to see a Glock in the low $400 range though. Police turn ins or buying the "blue box" is probably the only way now.

And btw.... you forgot to mention that the Glock is a plastic BRICK! That said, I used to say that I'd probably leave my 1911s in the safe and grab the Glocks if I had to bug out. Probably not any longer. Mrs. loves her DW Guardian in 9mm, and I love my Guardian in 38 Super. Probably grab them both in an emergency. Daily carry? Either the Guardian or the SIG 365. Just my choices in life of course.

And I'd STILL pick up that Taurus for $400 !!! So, you buy it, and if you don't like it... gift it to me? LOL

Michael
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 05-26-2023, 11:50 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
Yeap. Mine were removed when I got on the job. Why I can tolerate .
Between working for the government and being married for 2 weeks short of 20 years I have very few feelings left.

that is probably a good thing. I am very difficult to offend and anger.

SOOOOO correct in the fact if that If I need it it will be issued. Man that hits home!
Old 05-26-2023, 11:54 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFadda View Post
let's give a break here. He IS a motor trooper and therefore has most likely had to drink the Glock Kool-Aid. I'd like to see a Glock in the low $400 range though. Police turn ins or buying the "blue box" is probably the only way now.

And btw.... you forgot to mention that the Glock is a plastic BRICK! That said, I used to say that I'd probably leave my 1911s in the safe and grab the Glocks if I had to bug out. Probably not any longer. Mrs. loves her DW Guardian in 9mm, and I love my Guardian in 38 Super. Probably grab them both in an emergency. Daily carry? Either the Guardian or the SIG 365. Just my choices in life of course.

And I'd STILL pick up that Taurus for $400 !!! So, you buy it, and if you don't like it... gift it to me? LOL

Michael

this is one reason I love , blue label program is a steal really. And they are a brick but you can't really destory them and they work in most conditions so they are great for most conditions. I love a utility that just works no matter what if you can shoot it well.

I love my 1911's of course, nothing replacing them but man I don't carry a 1911, I carry my "bricks"

I am still mulling over the 9mm......I have been saving for a higher end 1911 already.
Old 05-26-2023, 11:19 PM
COTEP Member

Well; save your $$; Taurus 1911s are “out of spec” in more ways than they’re in.
I had to work on one a few years ago, and I’ll never own one, or work on one again!

Rick

IDPA/NRA Certified Safety Officer/Range S.O.