COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 04-25-2020, 08:01 PM
COTEP Member

Default Four Inch 1911 Recoil Springs

A little info for those who own four inch 1911s.

I’ve been having a time for the last few years finding a recoil spring with over an 11 pound rating for my Wilson Professional. Wilson doesn’t list any over 11 pounds, and a couple of hours spent searching online wasn’t turning up anything. So, when I saw a plethora of recoil springs for Commanders (4 1/4” 1911s), I said the hell with it, and ordered a couple of 13 pounders.

I figured that when I received them, I’d check for coil bind, and either get lucky, or have to cut a coil or two off.

I got lucky! A Commander sized recoil spring will fit in a four inch 1911 with no coil bind at all.

The recoil spring comes in a set which includes a firing pin spring, and is made by Wolff. I found them at Midway. Interestingly enough; I visited the Wolff website, and could NOT find them there at all.

So, FYI 1911 guys; which should cover pretty much all the members here!

Rick

IDPA/NRA Certified Safety Officer/Range S.O.

Last edited by Rick McC.; 04-25-2020 at 08:04 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rick McC. For This Useful Post:
Caleb (04-27-2020), RKP (04-26-2020), sdmc530 (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 09:44 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

I just wanted to say not to hijack your post that I have always used Wolff springs and like you have had excellent results. Seemed to always work very well for me. I have only ever had to "trim" one spring from them.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:23 AM
COTEP Member

Great info Rick, thanks for sharing !!
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:17 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

Thanks Rick
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 04-27-2020, 12:38 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

So Rick,
I have to ask… Have you fired it yet with the new springs?
I will have to assume a couple of things.
1. .45acp.
2. It is the current Wilson production professional series.
I haven’t had the pleasure of holding one, yet. I currently rotate through a small stack of Wesson combats and a Kimber eclipse carry (Just to remind me of what not to do). I have been eyeballing a couple of EB’s for a while now. A Cobra and an Executive Carry. I really like that EC. Just wondering how you like the Wilson being the middle? It’s only a ¼ inch shorter but a full size frame. I ran through a few of the ultra size guns didn’t like them at all. In .45 and a small frame just plain squirrely, wicked muzzle flip and the Kimbers had a nasty twist to the right. The ECO was a little thicker in the grip panels and a little nose heavy which didn’t seem to help with the flip. Backing them down to 185gr target round helped a little, but with any good SD round put the first one in the nuts and the second would be in the head. The Kimber was a good 2 manner, guy on the left in the nuts guy on the right in the head… round 3 God only knows!
Just wondering what your feelings were on it. Any advantages over the 4.25 standard combat size?

COTEP 439
Old 04-27-2020, 10:26 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse'nround View Post
So Rick,
I have to ask… Have you fired it yet with the new springs?
I will have to assume a couple of things.
1. .45acp.
2. It is the current Wilson production professional series.
I haven’t had the pleasure of holding one, yet. I currently rotate through a small stack of Wesson combats and a Kimber eclipse carry (Just to remind me of what not to do). I have been eyeballing a couple of EB’s for a while now. A Cobra and an Executive Carry. I really like that EC. Just wondering how you like the Wilson being the middle? It’s only a ¼ inch shorter but a full size frame. I ran through a few of the ultra size guns didn’t like them at all. In .45 and a small frame just plain squirrely, wicked muzzle flip and the Kimbers had a nasty twist to the right. The ECO was a little thicker in the grip panels and a little nose heavy which didn’t seem to help with the flip. Backing them down to 185gr target round helped a little, but with any good SD round put the first one in the nuts and the second would be in the head. The Kimber was a good 2 manner, guy on the left in the nuts guy on the right in the head… round 3 God only knows!
Just wondering what your feelings were on it. Any advantages over the 4.25 standard combat size?
Yes, I’ve shot the Wilson Pro a good bit with the 13 pound springs. It came with a 10 pound recoil spring, and I used 11 pounders for several years after that.

1. No, it’s a 9mm.

2. No. It was made in the first run in 2005.

Commander sized 1911s, which the Professional almost is, are my favorites.

I do own two sub-compact 1911s; a Sig Ultra Tribal, and a Kimber Ultra CDP II. Both are in .45 acp. Recoil has never been a problem for me, and they both shoot fine. That said, I did spend a good bit of time and $$ in making the Kimber reliable. If it wasn’t a present from the wife, I’d have sold it long ago, along with the other Kimbers I used to own.

Right after I finished working on it, I took it to an IDPA practice to wring it out. We started shooting the standards, and after a bit, wound up shooting at 25 yards. The SO was advising everyone to take their time and “shoot small.” When he go to me and another guy shooting something small, he said; those are made for shooting across the living room, just try to hit somewhere on the target. I did fine, keeping about all the shots zero down, with a couple just outside the line. He obviously didn’t know as much as he thought he did; he shot a Glock.

Even though the little Kimber runs perfectly, I rarely carry it, I guess because of my experience with the brand. I frequently carry the little Sig, and it’s run flawlessly from day one.

The advantage of the little ones for me is less to carry on bad back days. I mostly carry the Commanders, and occasionally full sized 1911s. I’v been carrying the Professional regularly for the last couple of months.

Rick

Last edited by Rick McC.; 04-27-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:35 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Thanks for the info. Two of my 1911s have a four inch barrel like s undercarriage. I have not had any problems with them tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2020, 09:15 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Thanks for the info. Two of my 1911s have a four inch barrel like s undercarriage. I have not had any problems with them tho.

Well nothing lasts forever!

As Dr. Chan used to say; “ boys, there’s only two things in the whole world that don’t wear out, and one of ‘em’s a hog snout”...

Rick

Last edited by Rick McC.; 04-29-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:58 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post

Commander sized 1911s, which the Professional almost is, are my favorites.

I do own two sub-compact 1911s; a Sig Ultra Tribal, and a Kimber Ultra CDP II. Both are in .45 acp. Recoil has never been a problem for me, and they both shoot fine. That said, I did spend a good bit of time and $$ in making the Kimber reliable. If it wasn’t a present from the wife, I’d have sold it long ago, along with the other Kimbers I used to own.

He obviously didn’t know as much as he thought he did; he shot a Glock.

Even though the little Kimber runs perfectly, I rarely carry it, I guess because of my experience with the brand. I frequently carry the little Sig, and it’s run flawlessly from day one.

The advantage of the little ones for me is less to carry on bad back days. I mostly carry the Commanders, and occasionally full sized 1911s. I’v been carrying the Professional regularly for the last couple of months.
Same for my Eclipse II, Mama Bought it for my birthday so it will never leave. It's pretty, I spent A LOT of time and $$ getting it running right. It was a good learning gun. I now know how much a Schwartz can screw things up. It shoots well, but it rarely leaves the Nightstand. I pretty much stay with my commanders. In the the summer time I move to my Sig 938.

NO Comment on Glockers...

My brother in law picked up CDP ultra carry in 9mm and had it worked over, said he liked it enough to park his CBOB. Then my sister went to the range with him and shot it... Now he's back to his CBOB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
We really don't want to know HOW YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT PIG'S UNDERCARRIAGE !!!!

COTEP 439
Old 04-28-2020, 08:23 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse'nround View Post
Same for my Eclipse II, Mama Bought it for my birthday so it will never leave. It's pretty, I spent A LOT of time and $$ getting it running right. It was a good learning gun. I now know how much a Schwartz can screw things up. It shoots well, but it rarely leaves the Nightstand. I pretty much stay with my commanders. In the the summer time I move to my Sig 938.

NO Comment on Glockers...

My brother in law picked up CDP ultra carry in 9mm and had it worked over, said he liked it enough to park his CBOB. Then my sister went to the range with him and shot it... Now he's back to his CBOB.

We really don't want to know HOW YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT PIG'S UNDERCARRIAGE !!!!

It’s in his profile page, he brags about it.