COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > COTEP University

Old 02-20-2017, 10:21 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
Good info. But correct me if I'm wrong , I remember reading in multiple articles that with modern metallurgy and the way springs are manufactured, they do not lose their "springness" regardless of being compressed for prolonged periods of time.

True.

Rick

IDPA/NRA Certified Safety Officer/Range S.O.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:26 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post
Not always true. Some mags, like the 8 round Checkmate with "Bullnose" follower compress the springs so much that they will wear out fairly quickly if left loaded. I have a number of these mags and all the ones I left loaded starting having feeding issues after a year or so. Pulling the springs out and comparing with springs from new mags confirmed that they were quit a bit shorter and weaker.

Some mags don't compress the springs as much, especially GI style 7 round mags. This is probably why you'll see stories of military mags that have been loaded for decades that are still good.

Good info Jim, and your experience may be the result of poor quality materials used in those mags. It would make sense that if a manufacturer wanted to save money somewhere in the production of a mag, it would be where is not visible (inside the mag, spring component). But this is just speculation on my part.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:31 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
Someone?

Good right there somebody.
hey, I was typing and didn't remember who the OP was. It was early in the morning and I just woke up... It's not my fault... I fell on my head as a child, my parents didn't care for me as they should of. My family are all conservatives and I voted for Bernie... the dog ate my homework... its the medications from the 70's....

I edited the original post JUST FOR YOU.... cuz I love ya man!
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:04 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
Good info Jim, and your experience may be the result of poor quality materials used in those mags.
I don't think so. I think it is simply because if you stress steel beyond a certain point, it's going to bend. I doubt if the GI mags had better quality steel in the springs than the Checkmate or Wilson mags, they just aren't stressed as much. The main problem as I see it is trying to cram 8 rounds into a magazine length designed for 7.

I'm trying different brand springs (ISMI, Wolff, Checkmate) to see if any particular brand has more issues in an 8 round mag than the others, but it will be a while before I know anything. It's hard to compare, however, because only the Checkmate springs will work with the patented Checkmate follower. The standard springs are too long front to back to fit between the bullnose and the back of the mag. I have to use Chip McCormick followers with the IMI and Wolff springs.

I think the solution is making the mag body slightly longer to prevent the spring from being so tightly compressed. But then you can't use the standard mag body anymore. Wilson probably should have made their 47D body slightly longer.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

Last edited by DrHenley; 02-21-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:32 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
I don't think so. I think it is simply because if you stress steel beyond a certain point, it's going to bend. I doubt if the GI mags had better quality steel in the springs than the Checkmate or Wilson mags, they just aren't stressed as much. The main problem as I see it is trying to cram 8 rounds into a magazine length designed for 7.

I'm trying different brand springs (ISMI, Wolff, Checkmate) to see if any particular brand has more issues in an 8 round mag than the others, but it will be a while before I know anything. It's hard to compare, however, because only the Checkmate springs will work with the patented Checkmate follower. The standard springs are too long front to back to fit between the bullnose and the back of the mag. I have to use Chip McCormick followers with the IMI and Wolff springs.

I think the solution is making the mag body slightly longer to prevent the spring from being so tightly compressed. But then you can't use the standard mag body anymore. Wilson probably should have made their 47D body slightly longer.

Thank you for engaging in such a good discussion Jim. I have a question, I do not leave my 8rd or 7rd mags loaded because they are reserved for IDPA competition and are loaded only for those occasions. But I will be leaving my CMC 10rd mags loaded to capacity as they're used for home defense and they need to be ready to go. You think CMC designed them to stay loaded at 10rds for prolonged periods of time?

I honestly don't see myself (or other gun owners for that matter) unloading them often. I will shoot the ammo in them every 6 months to make sure the gun still feeds and fires reliably with it, but that's just about it.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:53 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Here's what I do . I have 12 magazines that are kept unloaded until just before I go to the range. I then load them all to "one less than capacity". My 9mm mags get 8 instead of 9. When I get to the range, I can go directly to shooting without having to waste range time loading and reloading magazines. At the end of the session, all 12 mags are empty. If I run out of loaded mags, then I'll take the time to reload what I need.

On my EDC, I keep the magazine loaded most of the time, but once a week or so I empty the magazine and reload it with the same cartridges, mixing up the order. Why? constantly racking the same round into the chamber can cause the bullet to set itself back into the case. Every once in a while I'll also exchange the mag itself, since all my mags are proven to work "the first time, every time". Like you, I burn off my carry ammo every 6 months and load new stock.

Michael
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:02 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFadda View Post
Here's what I do . I have 12 magazines that are kept unloaded until just before I go to the range. I then load them all to "one less than capacity". My 9mm mags get 8 instead of 9. When I get to the range, I can go directly to shooting without having to waste range time loading and reloading magazines. At the end of the session, all 12 mags are empty. If I run out of loaded mags, then I'll take the time to reload what I need.

On my EDC, I keep the magazine loaded most of the time, but once a week or so I empty the magazine and reload it with the same cartridges, mixing up the order. Why? constantly racking the same round into the chamber can cause the bullet to set itself back into the case. Every once in a while I'll also exchange the mag itself, since all my mags are proven to work "the first time, every time". Like you, I burn off my carry ammo every 6 months and load new stock.

Michael
Good post Michael, I'm very familiar with bullet setback due to repetitive chambering of same round. I never do this as I never unload my pistol unless I'm shooting the ammo in it. If I was to periodically unload it like you do, I would absolutely rotate the ammo until every round has been chambered twice, then shoot the ammo.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:37 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Pedro, I have two CMC 10 rounders that have weak springs. I can't say for sure it is from being left loaded to capacity however. They are OK for the top off round in IDPA, but I would never trust them in a match or for EDC. They seem to work OK in my DW most of the time but give my other 1911s fits.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 02-21-2017, 04:05 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Pedro, I have two CMC 10 rounders that have weak springs. I can't say for sure it is from being left loaded to capacity however. They are OK for the top off round in IDPA, but I would never trust them in a match or for EDC. They seem to work OK in my DW most of the time but give my other 1911s fits.

Good to know Jim. It seems mag behavior varies greatly between different gun makes and models. What works in some 1911s does not work on others, regardless of how much $$$ the 1911 cost. Someone on youtube suggested to find the brand that works for your gun and stick to that. At the range I had zero failure to feed and the slide locked back every time with the original 7rd Springfield mag and the 10rd CMC. I'll test the WC47D this week once I get it.

I will keep a watchful eye on the mag springs, test them often and hope that by doing this I will stay on top of any possible malfunctions they could experience.