COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2019, 05:47 PM
COTEP Member

Default Fixing my Peepers

Well guys I think the time has arrived that that my OD has been warning me about. I, at 59, have cataracts, that are now affecting my vision. Until recently they were not much bother. At my appointment last fall Dr. Ken kept asking me if I was having vision problems. Once pushed a little he told me that the cataracts were close to causing me problems but so long as he could refract me to better than 20/20 near and far he would not push cataract surgery.

Well I am having problems now.

Pistol front sights, which a few months ago were just a bit of head tilt to find the sweet spot have no sweet spot except on really bright days. I have to work to find the sweet spot for my distance vision. Stuff I could read across the street months ago is a chore. The time to fix stuff is coming.

I've been in glasses since I was 7 and in progressive lenses since my mid 40s. I have a couple of diopters difference between eyes but can read in bed with no headaches or problems.

The questions for you guys is have you gone the cataract or lasik route and did you go binocular or mono vision, with one eye set close and the other for distance. I don't expect a ton of help from Dr. Ken since he is not a shooter. Your thoughts and experiences?
I'm thinking that I am heading to one of my wife's friends ophthalmologist, who is retired Navy and worked at Little Creek who,and according to work sources, apparently saw some of the Team personnel. Getting old sucks but beats the alternatives.
The Following User Says Thank You to Semper Paratus For This Useful Post:
boatdoc (02-26-2019)