COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2015, 01:21 AM
COTEP Member

Default 45 Super

I've been studying this topic now for a long time and have finally decided that I like the ballistics of the 45 Super. I own a Rock Island 1911FS Tactical in 45acp and I have been told they are rated at 24,000psi chamber. I know the pressure on the Super is 27-28,000psi. Some people that I have talked to have said that just replacing the recoil, firing pin, and magazine springs and you should be fine. After months of research I thought the same thing. I was wrong according to a gunsmith from Armscor. I was told that unless the barrel is ramped, that it won't support enough of the cartridge to handle the pressure. Don't ask me why I want to do this conversion, because I just want to. It's my gun. What my question is, isdo I really need a ramped barrel, or is the additional web thickness enough?

You can have my gun when you pry from my cold dead body, but rest assured I took a few with .e in the fight.