COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Blades

Old 10-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Blade Sheath Recommendations.

I saw 's post on Panther sheaths and I liked what I saw.
So my question is would you recommend it for the following Chris Reeve knife I have? As you can see the original sheath is not conducive for carry. It does not give me enough of the handle to grip and draw. Also, when it comes to knife sheaths I do not like belt loops.
So I'm looking for a sheath that leaves most of the handle exposed that I can clip it to the inside the waistband on my support (left) side. I want to be able to draw it in a reverse grip. Very much like 's photo.
Recommendations? Also, do I have to send the knife to the maker? I'd rather avoid that if I could.
Thank you.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.

Last edited by BlackKnight; 10-18-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:18 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,477 Times in 714 Posts

Both Jim and of Panther are members here, so maybe they will chime in. I would imagine if they do not have a pattern from a previous job, you may need to send it to them though. I may be wrong
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 10-18-2014, 03:23 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Those guys are stand up gents, if you have to send it....it will be in good hands. Send Jim an email with all your questions, he wilk be glad to answer them.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:47 PM
COTEP Member

Plan on shipping the blade to Jim. They won't have that knife to work from I don't believe.

Nice blade, I've sent my own handmade bowies to Jim worth 1k's, no need to worry about your blade in their hands as was mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

"The mind is the limiting factor"
Old 10-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Well, that's why I asked you guys. I trust your opinions.
I'll be reaching out to them. Thank you, all.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:33 PM
COTEP Member

Welcome sir, they are both good guys, and go that extra mile to ensure people are happy with their purchase.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

"The mind is the limiting factor"
Old 10-20-2014, 11:23 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
I saw 's post on Panther sheaths and I liked what I saw.
So my question is would you recommend it for the following Chris Reeve knife I have? As you can see the original sheath is not conducive for carry. It does not give me enough of the handle to grip and draw. Also, when it comes to knife sheaths I do not like belt loops.
So I'm looking for a sheath that leaves most of the handle exposed that I can clip it to the inside the waistband on my support (left) side. I want to be able to draw it in a reverse grip. Very much like 's photo.
Recommendations? Also, do I have to send the knife to the maker? I'd rather avoid that if I could.
Thank you.
, to the bolded yes, highly recommended, no belt loops, clip and yes, you would and you need to send it. personaly try it to perfection in draw and retention. I cannot describe you the miles of difference between a factory made or leather holster and what they send you back. Retention to keep a knife in no matter what and to release it with the perfect pull. Not only they are outstanding gents but both suffer of what you would call in other circles severe OCD.... but I just think is professional pride I believe Brownie has sent some of his thousanddollars knives to them.

About the clips Jim is using, they hook perfectly in the belt, but I wear it around the waist band without belt many times or not waist band at all, as I wear it with clothes that are not meant for carrying . For some flimsy materials like some jersey skirts I was wearing last week, the drawing and retention is a little challeging.... but I'm almost sure you wont be wearing those... I mean... for the pants you shoudl be wearing, jeans or slacks, all with waistband, it works pefectly.

Their design is reversible and you'd need to give Jim all the details from your carry, needs etc.

Probably someone else (Brownie?) can tell you where Jim learned to make these sheaths and how he had master it... I juts had a sheath made for my first knife when he was starting this without a name and been hooked for life. I currently have several and more knives in a budget waiting list I have a couple of holsters too, but plastic holsters are for some guns styles, Sheaths? second to none.

My opinion is not professional as I'm not a knife fighter or anything. I'm just a chunky midle age woman that dress mostly "professionally" (not THAT profession... but office clothing) and carry a folder and a fix knife about 360 days a year. Mostly waist but thigh band also. For me, having a kid around hugging jumping and such, retention for both, gun and knife, is a most. With my clothing, the folder had fallen in the past, factory clip. PC sheath never. I no, they don't pay me for ads...
"The two worst strategic mistakes to make are acting prematurely and letting an opportunity slip; to avoid this, the warrior treats each situation as if it were unique and never resorts to formulae, recipes or other people's opinions."
COTEP#CBOB0760