COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 01-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Colt GCNM - Fixed sight project.

Picked up a well abused mis-marked Colt GCNM from a LGS some time back for an exceptional price. The slide is marked as a Series 70, but it is actually a series 80. Blueing is worn , the internals had been....uh....smithed (aka butchered), trigger was milled down to standard width with a faux trigger shoe milled on the front (wiggle wiggle wiggle) combined with the Gold Cup sear that had been stoned a bit low for my comfort and the hammer hooks filed down to just over a 1lbs trigger pull...unsafe, this became a perfect candidate for some TLC and experimentation. about the only parts that were salvaged were the slide, barrel and sear spring. One of the things I have wanted to do was find a fixed style replacement for the old Elliason rear sight. decided to fabricate one from 4140....why, cause I can. Seeing as how this will be a complete rebuild parts chosen included a Kart NM .45 barrel and bushing, EGW sear given a CW True Radius and Wilson ultralight hammer, BP Safety and other quality parts.

For now, here are a few pics of the rear sight, before cutting the notch and shaping. The sight has no gap under the rear blade and is a TIGHT fit in the milled channel. As mentioned this will not be adjustable and I will likely add a blind steel pin underneath to further stabilize the sight if needed. the bottom has been milled down .020 to match the step on the factory cut and bring that rear blade down to full contact. My goal was no alteration of the factory cut on the slide. The most challenging part was figuring out the machining sequence.

Enjoy.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Looks good
Old 02-22-2013, 07:39 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

No real updates here. But...I just got another GCNM slide and frame (this one a 1978 70 series). This one came to me in terrible shape and had to be sent out to weld up and recut the frame rails, the barrel was .......terrible.