COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 04-16-2014, 11:07 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Different strokes for different folks.

I ordered my Baer with 20 LPI FSC, it's gonna be aggressive as all get out!
Old 04-16-2014, 11:47 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

It doesn't make much difference to me. I use pretty aggressive VZ grips on my carry guns. The most of mine have checkered or chain link FS and MSH. I would think that with callused hands you would want more aggressive, to give more feel. Seems it would help secure the grip better on the slicker callused hands.

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414
Old 04-17-2014, 12:17 AM
COTEP Member

I use vz operator 2 grips on most of my 1911s and i skateboard tape all my front straps. I got midget fingers and i like to get a grip on my guns.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:36 AM
Founding Member
Admimberistrator

I also have skateboard tape on several of mine and I actually think I prefer the feel over my guns with checkered front straps.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:32 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog View Post
It doesn't make much difference to me. I use pretty aggressive VZ grips on my carry guns. The most of mine have checkered or chain link FS and MSH. I would think that with callused hands you would want more aggressive, to give more feel. Seems it would help secure the grip better on the slicker callused hands.
Nah, makes no difference on the feel. Actually, I am more in tune with my thumb riding the thumb safety, and I can be a pisspot about thumb safeties. Been known to file for hours with files that are nearly smooth, to feel the safety just right. In my last vid I stop shooting after 5 or 6 rounds, adjust my thumb, and finish. That safety has been adjusted since the vid was made. My concern is, while drawing from holster, getting a grip too early, fingers not around the grip. I practice Quick Kill shooting, Half Hip.....alot, normally to forty feet...Self Defense shooting. I have never practiced with a gun that has an aggressive front strap texture, gonna give it a whirl next trip to SC.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:33 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloreman View Post
I use vz operator 2 grips on most of my 1911s and i skateboard tape all my front straps. I got midget fingers and i like to get a grip on my guns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadOscar View Post
I also have skateboard tape on several of mine and I actually think I prefer the feel over my guns with checkered front straps.
I have some skateboard tape...well, my kids do....gonna play with that this weekend.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 04-17-2014, 10:21 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
Nah, makes no difference on the feel. Actually, I am more in tune with my thumb riding the thumb safety, and I can be a pisspot about thumb safeties. Been known to file for hours with files that are nearly smooth, to feel the safety just right. In my last vid I stop shooting after 5 or 6 rounds, adjust my thumb, and finish. That safety has been adjusted since the vid was made. My concern is, while drawing from holster, getting a grip too early, fingers not around the grip. I practice Quick Kill shooting, Half Hip.....alot, normally to forty feet...Self Defense shooting. I have never practiced with a gun that has an aggressive front strap texture, gonna give it a whirl next trip to SC.
I'm sure you will do a vid, ahem. I'm interested to find out what the results are of your tests. Please let know what you find out.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:18 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCaleb View Post
I'm sure you will do a vid, ahem. I'm interested to find out what the results are of your tests. Please let know what you find out.
Of course I will do a vid!!! I am thinking about this treatment for my latest 1911.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-17-2014, 12:33 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Thats cool..... Do you have a guy that does that kind of work?
Old 04-17-2014, 12:49 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCaleb View Post
Thats cool..... Do you have a guy that does that kind of work?
Don't have anyone......there is a guy out near Vegas who uses CNC machines to do engraving, I need to dig his name outta mothballs. I have seen floral patterns, names, favorite dogs.....nothing overdone, very tasteful, yet helps with gripping the front strap. I have no concern with my hand coming off the gun, that is not gonna happen. I am concerned with my hand getting to my shooting grip smoothly.

I put skateboard tape on the 1911 from jeffpac, gonna practice drawing with it when the rain stops. Damn rain is holding up vids I want to post, I need to finish them outside.