COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 04-16-2014, 10:17 AM
COTEP Member

Default 1911 Front Strap Checkering

I am not a big believer in front strap checkering on my 1911's. I have played with grip tape, and have shot a friend's 1911 with the Wilson Combat checkered overlay, as well as shot 1911's with permanent checkering in various agressive textures. Don't like any of them. I have rough hands, calloused, the texture doesn't bother me physically. I feel that when I grab my 1911 from my holster in a draw stroke the front strap being checkered actually stops me from completing my finalized shooting grip, whereas a non checkered front strap allows my fingers to "continue the slide" around the gun. Don't get me wrong, if target shooting I am fine with checkering. But if I am going for speed and only need a few rounds in a SD situation, for me, non-checkered does not hinder my grip process, even when I scoop the gun. Opinions?

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 04-16-2014, 12:01 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

I have small hands so, I prefer that front and back extra grip texture. Would I "really" need it in a SD situation? Most likely won't notice the difference, plenty of other things to worry about. At the range? Yes, I can tell the difference and do prefer it over a smooth front/rear strap.

on a different note: I like the "look" of it on a front strap as far as astetics(sp?).
Old 04-16-2014, 12:29 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCaleb View Post
I have small hands so, I prefer that front and back extra grip texture. Would I "really" need it in a SD situation? Most likely won't notice the difference, plenty of other things to worry about. At the range? Yes, I can tell the difference and do prefer it over a smooth front/rear strap.

on a different note: I like the "look" of it on a front strap as far as astetics(sp?).
That is what I am mostly getting at.....In a SD situation the grip process is lightning speed, or in my case, turtle speed. Just the same, those four fingers are paramount in getting around the gun grip. This is even one reason some shooters remove the finger humps. If you are panicked, go to draw and your fingers don't "slide" around the gun, can you shoot straight? It will not be the same wrap around you get at the range.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 04-16-2014, 01:02 PM
COTEP Member

The FS checkering on my Kimber is like grabbing coral! It's not a gun I carry so I don't mind it much. If I were ever to add texture to another gun I'd consider something more mild like the "golf ball" treatments I've seen. However, I don't feel strongly enough about it to bother at this time.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:01 PM
COTEP Member

I'm not fond of aggressive checkering at all. It distracts me, so I stay away from guns that have it or the add ons.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:47 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgehill View Post
I'm not fond of aggressive checkering at all. It distracts me, so I stay away from guns that have it or the add ons.
Some people complain it roughs up their hands. I get that, we don't all have rough hands. But people do practice with shooting gloves on, which will never be on when in a SD situation.

I depend on the grip panels on my 1911's.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:48 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

I can see your point Joe and I agree. But, I can tell you that when I shoot a pistol with checkering, my grip from shot to shot does not change. Very different with a smooth strap pistol. My grip has to be re-adjusted when shooting multiple shots. Maybe its me, maybe the lack of grip up front. A highly agressive check job is a no go for me but, something "light" (see the CCO's strap) checkered, scalloped, ect would be my choice.

Other arguements say with a smooth strap, if there is sweat or blood involved, is too slippery. (hence the full grip stippling you see on poly guns).

It comes down to training, again. yourself to get the proper grip BEFORE the pistol comes out of the holster/concealment. Draw and dry fire exercises practiced routinely will have you unconciously grabbing the pistol correctly every time.

I'm no pro so, take this for a grain of salt.

PS: Looks like to me that when you(Joe) draw your gun, you "slide" your fingers/hand down the frame till you reach you preferred grip. I can see this being an issue with checkering. For instance: My fingers/front of hand does not make contact till after the web between my thumb and point finger has encountered the beavertail. Then the rest of the hand/fingers fall suit. Make sense? Not sure if I can explain it any better. Sometimes my thoughts and typing do not work well together. Lol....
Old 04-16-2014, 02:49 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD2A View Post
The FS checkering on my Kimber is like grabbing coral! It's not a gun I carry so I don't mind it much. If I were ever to add texture to another gun I'd consider something more mild like the "golf ball" treatments I've seen. However, I don't feel strongly enough about it to bother at this time.
I think, without damaging that gun, you could alleviate some "coral effect" by rubbing the front strap with denim.
That's a Kimber forum find out for sure before you try it tactic!

Old 04-16-2014, 06:18 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

My DW and Colt have smooth front straps, and my Sigs have 25 LPI checkering. I can't really say that I can even notice the difference.

The Sig Ultra Carry probably needs it, and it may explain why it is so much more controllable than I expected. But I am not really aware of it when I'm shooting. It certainly doesn't bother my hands at all.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

Last edited by DrHenley; 04-16-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:26 PM
COTEP Member

[QUOTE=DrHenley;74548]My DW and Colt have smooth front straps, and my Sigs have 25 LPI checkering. I can't really say that I can even notice the difference.

The Sig Ultra Carry probably needs it, and it may explain why it is so much more controllable than I expected. But I am not really aware of it when I'm shooting. It certainly doesn't bother my hands at all.[/QUOTE]

I read alot.....from what I see most people who checkering bother are ones in a weekend class where alot of rounds fired are involved. But I see complaints from all over, and discussions about how course to make the front strap.