COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 01-08-2014, 02:35 AM
COTEP Member

Default DHS Targets Disturbing

Seems the DHS uses some odd targets for their practice.

http://c.washingtontimes.com/neighbo...ng-children-p/

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 01-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

If you notice, each target has a subject pointing a gun at you. We had similar targets when when we trained our officers. It included women and others, but no children. An officer has mili-seconds to make a life or death decision, ergo the reason for those types of targets. An officers first duty is to go home after his shift, he is not required to be a punching bag or bullet catcher for anyone. Just sayin'.
Kentucky Colonel
Retired Motor Officer
Old 01-08-2014, 09:16 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipersnest View Post
If you notice, each target has a subject pointing a gun at you. We had similar targets when when we trained our officers. It included women and others, but no children. An officer has mili-seconds to make a life or death decision, ergo the reason for those types of targets. An officers first duty is to go home after his shift, he is not required to be a punching bag or bullet catcher for anyone. Just sayin'.
I understand that part, many friends who were military, now current or retired LEO. I see the LEO in a different light than DHS, different training protocol. Not being an expert by any means, in my thoughts they would train a higher percentage of what they might encounter. A local LEO, with domestic disputes, probably has a higher probability of engaging a woman with a gun than a DHS agent. But, as you said, no children were in your target lineup, so I can only guess the concerns are changing, and the training with it.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 01-08-2014, 09:55 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Dhs = ss

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414
Old 01-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I agree with Snipersnest. While these maybe offensive, they are holding "what appears to be a weapon". However, I would add a child holding a toy gun with red barrel cap to the mix.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:27 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE2 View Post
I agree with Snipersnest. While these maybe offensive, they are holding "what appears to be a weapon". However, I would add a child holding a toy gun with red barrel cap to the mix.
Good add to the mix! But, an LEO cannot take that chance. I get it. A weapon pointed at said LEO must be treated as a real weapon. However, the LEO does have body armor and should be trained to move "off the X" and identify whatever is visible. And I will openly admit, that in a scared as hell moment I could not make myself do all that in a millisecond, and I cannot expect it from anyone else.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

A few years ago my partner and I were responding to a man with a gun call. As we get to the scene we see a male brandishing what appeared to be an MP5.
We jump out the vehicle pointing our handguns yelling for him to drop it. Fortunately he did and never turned or pointed the weapon towards us.
Come to find out it was an airsoft where he or someone painted over the orange tip. Also he was 16 years of at the time. He found it that we thought it was real. I was so hyped up. We both came very close to shooting that kid. I took the weapon and with a swift kick gave the kid a stern talking too.
It took hours before our heartbeat settled into being somewhat normal. I still think about how close came to shooting that kid.
Now mind you that kid was no innocent. A week later he actually did shoot someone with a real gun.
Thought so. I knew I had picture. He're a picture of the gun. Tell me in a split second decision this kid could have been shot.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.

Last edited by BlackKnight; 01-08-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

I'da shot him just for being a Richard Cranium
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 01-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I understand that you can't hesitate. Someone might paint the end of their Ak-47 red. I don't fault the responders when someone points "what might be a weapon" at them. You do what you have to do.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE2 View Post
I understand that you can't hesitate. Someone might paint the end of their Ak-47 red. I don't fault the responders when someone points "what might be a weapon" at them. You do what you have to do.
And we've had similar issues like that as well. A sister county were seizing handguns that were painted in neon colors to make them look like toys. Thankfully, that hasn't really caught on, yet.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.