COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > Long Guns

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2022, 06:29 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Long Range

This pas weekend taught a long rang class. These are always fun for me and the students. Currently we're only able to go out to 600, but it's a good start and beginner lesson for a lot of our students.
First thing I did is take my rifle out and confirm everything is as it should be.

The we went out to Greely, PA. One student had Ruger PCR in 6.5 Creedmore. He loaded his own ammo so it was good to see if his load data was up to par. It was. Another student had .223/5.56 which he wanted to try. He was hitting but of course more affected by wind. He also had a .308 and once understood ballistic data and dope and was hitting no problem. Another had a Barrett MRAD in .300 WinMag and also a Barrett M99 in 50.BMG. Oh, the toys.

The range we go to has partnered with us for these classes. While they've been non-committal I believe we'll eventually see the range extended to a 1,000 yards. They have confided in me that they have been battling their state and local EPA.

To that end my new build will be a Barrett MRAD in .300 Win Mag.
Stock picture of what I'm hoping to get by the end of the year.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.