COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols > Les Baer

Old 05-14-2013, 10:28 AM
COTEP Member

A classic looking pistol!

Nice going, DW!

Now range report with pics!

Tom
If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ
Old 05-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Congrats, nice piece.

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414
Old 05-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

Sweet
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 05-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,292 Times in 337 Posts

Great pistol, I've wanted one of those for a long time.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Congrats on the Baer!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,547 Times in 465 Posts

Thanks Guys! I LOVE the Blueing job Les Baer did on it. It's VERY DEEP Blue! And flawless. It's like Colt's Royal Blue, only deeper blue. Taking her to the range this Sunday, we'll see how it performs. It was only $1899.99.
Came with 3 Baer Premium magazines. My only complaint is my checkmate mags that fit Every other 1911 I own won't lock in because of the bases.
These magazines:
http://www.topgunsupply.com/check-ma...-magazine.html
I guess I "could " file off a little of the base fronts, but I have plenty of other mags that fit the Baer.
Thomas Jefferson
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-20-2013, 09:57 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Unhappy Range Report

Well, the Baer did well, but some issues. I had several "double feeds" with The Les Baer " Premium " Magazines. Shot 300 rounds of Federal & Remington ball ammo.
The POI was consistent, but was approx 2" high and approx 2" left. At 50 feet.
Called Les Baer today, a female said Les Baer himself would call me. He did not. It WAS Monday. I understand.
The other issue I noticed when I cleaned it, the barrel throat face has a "nick' in it at about 4 o'clock. I don't think it affects anything, but on a Custom $2000.00 ,1911, it should not be there.
I'll wait & see if Les calls me tomorrow. I think He will.
The fit and finish is superb, but the flaw in the barrel throat should be fixed, and the POI needs correcting. At the Range a had my New Wilson CQB with me, it shot PERFECT. No FTF, no FTE, all shots POI dead center. I made NO Change to the sights on either gun. I was told by the female that they sight the Baer in @ 20 yards. If so, why the high & left?
Go figure.
Thomas Jefferson
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-21-2013, 06:09 AM
COTEP Member

I've heard nothing but positive feedback about their CS. I agree it should be double checked before it leaves the factory. Let us know what Les says.

Good judgment comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgment.

If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpaul50 View Post
I've heard nothing but positive feedback about their CS. I agree it should be double checked before it leaves the factory. Let us know what Les says.
Les said He will gladly polish the nick out, I need to send the barrel to Him.
Nice guy! He said as far as accuracy, asked me to do a standing shoot test at a 1 inch black dot at 50 feet. Said He'll move the sight if needed. I did speak to Les personally, thought that was nice, I have never spoke to Bill Wilson.
That said, I really have not had these issues with Wilsons either.
Stange: He said that it's "Normal" for a Les Baer 1911 to shoot high & left when shooting from a rest!
I'll try what He said, go from there!
Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Unhappy Not so good

Well, my 1st Les Baer will likely be my last. Well made 1911 for sure, but the Customer Service is not so good!
When you buy a "Custom" 1911 as Les Baer's are, you expect it to be right, out of the box.
For Les to tell Me that when shooting off a rest on sanbags, the gun WILL shoot POI 1 1/2 inches high, and 1 1/2 inches left, is really out there!
I DID try offhand standing shooting with it, still high & left.
Was told He would move the sight free, said He will move it .010 to the right IF I send it to Him on MY Dime, Well, 1st off all, @ 50 feet = 600 inches, the correction is .015. NOT .010. Secondly, why should I have to PAY to get it to Him? It shot like this with 4 different types ammo. Nice tight groups, buy high and left. Big time @ 50 feet. Furthermore, is stovepipes an 2nd to last round with Les Baer mags that came with it, it also does it with Wilson Mags, and CMC Power Mags. Selling it, ordered a Dan Weson 2013 Valor. I have not had any issues like this out of the box with Dan Wesson 1911's, and if I did, Keith would take real good care of Me.
I seriously doubt I ever buy another Les Baer. Sorry guys, this one was Great Looking! Beautiful! But not a great shooter, and VERY Poor Quality Customer Service.
P.S. As you all know, Dan Wesson is not even a Full Custom 1911 like a Baer!
And ALL My Dan Wesson's have been right on, out of the box!
Thomas Jefferson