COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols

Old 12-07-2016, 10:23 PM
COTEP Member

Default Thinking about going .45 acp

Yup, thinking about selling the Tupperware and myriad of holsters for it and buying a true firearm, a good ol' 1911 the way JM Browning intended firearms to be.

In talking to , and expressing my really limited budget, Armscore Rock Island Armory surfaced as a good option. But I'm open to all suggestion that keep my purchase below $1000.

RIA does not designate their pistols as government, commander, or officer. I've been looking at the Rock Standard MS (mid -size). Yay or nay? 4.25 barrel length, full size frame. Looks purdy.

It also looks like i need to start learning to reload. How hard is to do so for .45acp? Suggestions about press, dies, extras needed to make the process easy, and powder brand/type?

I know, it's a lot I'm asking here but i got the bug big time and I'm rather clueless about 1911s

Thank you.

P
FfNJGTFO (12-07-2016), NAMVET72 (12-09-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 10:34 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

RIA is a hit and miss brand. If 1k is your budget then, I suggest you look at a Springfield Armory or a used Colt. You can also look into a used or older 1911 with a good Rep. Just my $0.02
Old 12-07-2016, 10:50 PM
COTEP Member

Have a RIA 'Two-Tone Tactical" and I am very happy with it.

Reloading the 45 ACP isn't hard at all. Start with a small setup like a Lee turret press and a set of dies for about $225. The only addition to that I would recommend is a good digital scale.

As to powder and primers, that always boils down to a matter of personal preference and what is available. All manufacturers make at least one powder that will work fine for 45ACP.

For a generic powder that does well in many different pistol calibers, you cannot go wrong with "Universal".

To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:54 PM
COTEP Member

Thank you for sharing your opinions Michael and . Also looking at Springfield armory, the Range Officer model looks gorgeous and well appointed.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:07 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,292 Times in 337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
RIA is a hit and miss brand. If 1k is your budget then, I suggest you look at a Springfield Armory or a used Colt. You can also look into a used or older 1911 with a good Rep. Just my $0.02
This was my experience with the second RIA I bought, first one was a piece of shit also. I may have bought the only bad ones that slipped out, but I doubt it. Good luck.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11131
Old 12-07-2016, 11:17 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
Yup, thinking about selling the Tupperware and myriad of holsters for it and buying a true firearm, a good ol' 1911 the way JM Browning intended firearms to be.

In talking to , and expressing my really limited budget, Armscore Rock Island Armory surfaced as a good option. But I'm open to all suggestion that keep my purchase below $1000.

RIA does not designate their pistols as government, commander, or officer. I've been looking at the Rock Standard MS (mid -size). Yay or nay? 4.25 barrel length, full size frame. Looks purdy.

It also looks like i need to start learning to reload. How hard is to do so for .45acp? Suggestions about press, dies, extras needed to make the process easy, and powder brand/type?

I know, it's a lot I'm asking here but i got the bug big time and I'm rather clueless about 1911s

Thank you.

P

I like mine... The Para-USA "Expert" $500-650 range.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:36 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Kimber has a <1000 45. Despite the ribbing Kimber gets here, mine have been solid firearms.

COTEP #719

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
Old 12-07-2016, 11:53 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,292 Times in 337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE2 View Post
Kimber has a <1000 45. Despite the ribbing Kimber gets here, mine have been solid firearms.
I never had any problems with mine either.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:22 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

, if I had $1000 to spend on a 1911, I'd choose either the Springfield Loaded or the Kimber TLE II. Both have everything you would want or need in a 1911. I would choose the Rock Tactical 3rd behind those two.

Another option is to save another $500 and that would bump you up into the Les Baer PII or Dan Wesson Valor arena.

There are plenty of other $1K options out there... Para, Taurus, Sig, Colt, S&W. Good luck deciding.

Things you may want to ask yourself are:

Is it going to a range only gun or do you plan to carry it also? That decision will help decide full size commander or officer size. I know plenty of people that carry full size 1911's daily.
What type of finish do I want: Stainless, blued or parkerized?
What type of sights, fixed or adjustable? Night sights or not Fiber optic front sight or not?
Do I want front strap checkering?
Am I ok with an external extractor? Or does it have to be an internal?
Do I want a rail?
Do I want an ambi safety?
Does it have to be new? Sometimes you can get a great deal on a used gun vs buying new.

These are just some things to consider

Remember the old saying, "buy once....cry once". Make an educated decision the first time, so that there are no regrets and no buyers remorse.

Last edited by skosh69; 12-08-2016 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:37 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlutz View Post
This was my experience with the second RIA I bought, first one was a piece of shit also. I may have bought the only bad ones that slipped out, but I doubt it. Good luck.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11131
Hmmm good to know this, I definitely do not want to deal with issues on my first go around with a 1911. Thanks Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO View Post
I like mine... The Para-USA "Expert" $500-650 range.

That's a good looking gun, and a small price tag to go along. Where are Paras made?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE2 View Post
Kimber!!? The only concern is I've heard and seen pictures of their internal machining marks, looks beautiful on the outside but under the hood it can be a mess sometines. Or is that something unusual and in general Kimbers run good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
, if I had $1000 to spend on a 1911, I'd choose either the Springfield Loaded or the Kimber TLE II. Both have everything you would want or need in a 1911. I would choose the Rock Tactical 3rd behind those two.

Another option is to save another $500 and that would bump you up into the Les Baer PII or Dan Wesson Valor arena.

There are plenty of other $1K options out there... Para, Taurus, Sig, Colt, S&W. Good luck deciding.

Things you may want to ask yourself are:

Is it going to a range only gun or do you plan to carry it also? That decision will help decide full size commander or officer size. I know plenty of people that carry full size 1911's daily.
What type of finish do I want: Stainless, blued or parkerized?
What type of sights, fixed or adjustable? Night sights or not Fiber optic front sight or not?
Do I want front strap checkering?
Am I ok with an external extractor? Or does it have to be an internal?
Do I want a rail?
Do I want an ambi safety?
Does it have to be new? Sometimes you can get a great deal on a used gun vs buying new.

These are just some things to consider

Remember the old saying, "buy once....cry once". Make an educated decision the first time, so that there are no regrets and no buyers remorse.
Excellent points . I'm still learning. Mainly home defense but I will carry too. Government looks magnificent but definitely not carry-able, so the commander is the one. I don't care for the shorter officer size right now. Stainless or blued are fine, no fiber optic, night sights a plus.

Will a no-ambi be slimmer than an ambi? That would be a plus to me.

Front strap checkering, that sounds like a good thing. I'm guessing it's not a standard option? What about the front barrel lug (is that the name? Lol)?

S&W 1911 looks great too.

What makes the SA Loaded a loaded? I like the SA Range Officer's price point and it seems to have good craftsmanship and parts behind it.

Thanks for all the input so far guys. Keep it coming