COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols > Dan Wesson

Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 PM
COTEP Member

Default ECO range report

Took my new ECO out for its first spin tonight. I was impressed with how smooth the gun is right out of the box. I ran about 75 rounds of hand loaded 230 gn RN over 8 gn of Unique. Only thing I noticed is that the POI is about two inches lower than POA at 15 yards off had. I checked my sights with a laser boresight and the sights are spot on with the laser at up to 60 feet. I wonder if this has to do with the ammo? I didn't have any store bought loads to try, next time I'll try some factory stuff. Grouping was great after I figured out where they were hitting. I ended up with a nice ragged hole when I was done. I'm going to make the ECO my EDC so more range time is coming soon.
I seem to have trouble with short sight radius 3 and 3.5" barrels. My Sig P250SC 40cal is short and I have a tendency to dip the muzzel. I don't do that on longer barrels. I've got to work on that I suppose. Up shot is that means more practice, which means I get to shoot more Could be worse.

COTEP Member# CBOB0686
Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Cool beans!!! Next time we need pics of a "dirty ECO"....hint hint
Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 AM
COTEP Member

They are great pistols! I've played with mine, 500+/- rounds and have no gripes. As for your POI vs POA....try hitting the 75 or 100m target. I spent a full box playing at long distance and found that elevating the pistol 6' caused the round to hit the target which gave me some good insight into how the round archs in flight and bullet drop. I did this for too reasons, one already mentioned, the other because I elk hunt with a 45/70 lever action.

Most IMPORTANTLY....make sure your range is safe for elevating the pistol to 6'. We, as a community, have had enough bad press as of late

"'Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,'
The shade replied, -
'If you seek for Eldorado!'"...Poe

Last edited by ratpatrol; 01-21-2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: iPads and touch screens and auto correct stink
Old 01-21-2013, 11:42 AM
COTEP Member

I probablly won't shoot this pistol at distances over 25 yards. A short barrel really isn't designed for it and I doubt I'd have much accuracy anyway. For longer distance shooting, I prefer my other Dan Wessons, the revolvers. My 7445 Supermag with 10 VH barrel and 2-6X scope is great at 100 yards.

COTEP Member# CBOB0686
Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 PM
COTEP Member

Nice report! But

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ
Old 07-10-2013, 11:45 AM
COTEP Member

I just picked up the ECO in 45 and will give a report (and pics) shortly. Mine shot low... really low. I am talking about 6" at 7 yards. My second trip to the range concluded it was the shooter (me). My first time shooting a 1911 and am muscling the trigger and nose diving the barrel (I normally shoot a DA GP-100).

With some conscious trigger training and having a POA about 2" above the bulls eye put shoots dead center. I would like to get a lower front site...Anyone suggest and aftermarket site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPIO View Post
Took my new ECO out for its first spin tonight. I was impressed with how smooth the gun is right out of the box. I ran about 75 rounds of hand loaded 230 gn RN over 8 gn of Unique. Only thing I noticed is that the POI is about two inches lower than POA at 15 yards off had. I checked my sights with a laser boresight and the sights are spot on with the laser at up to 60 feet. I wonder if this has to do with the ammo? I didn't have any store bought loads to try, next time I'll try some factory stuff. Grouping was great after I figured out where they were hitting. I ended up with a nice ragged hole when I was done. I'm going to make the ECO my EDC so more range time is coming soon.
I seem to have trouble with short sight radius 3 and 3.5" barrels. My Sig P250SC 40cal is short and I have a tendency to dip the muzzel. I don't do that on longer barrels. I've got to work on that I suppose. Up shot is that means more practice, which means I get to shoot more Could be worse.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,481 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon216 View Post
I just picked up the ECO in 45 and will give a report (and pics) shortly. Mine shot low... really low. I am talking about 6" at 7 yards. My second trip to the range concluded it was the shooter (me). My first time shooting a 1911 and am muscling the trigger and nose diving the barrel (I normally shoot a DA GP-100).

With some conscious trigger training and having a POA about 2" above the bulls eye put shoots dead center. I would like to get a lower front site...Anyone suggest and aftermarket site?
Sounds like recoil anticipation..pretty common with someone new to 1911's. My Wilson is zeroed at 50 yards, so at 25 it shoots about 2" high...before you change your sights, talk to Dave Waits here...
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 07-11-2013, 01:04 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:

Whoa...stop....hold on a sec. You want to change your sights because you're not shooting bullseye's with your first 1911 which also happens to be a 3 inch model, the hardest to shoot out of all of them? You shot really low the first time out and second time out you're a bit high.

Buy more ammo and learn to shoot it before even thinking of changing the sights!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:44 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

No Pictures????? Didn't happen! Send us dirty gun pictures! LOL.... I'd agree with an earlier post. Get used to the gun before you even think about changing the sights.

Da
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:

Here's a helpful tool to diagnose your shooting...