COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Nice tip on using the .357 case as a carbon scraper, Dave. I'm going to make a couple of them.

Government name- Terry
Old 02-09-2012, 03:28 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Location: Belgium , In Flanders Fields where the poppies blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadOscar View Post
This sounds like the extractor is too tight. Too tight can cause it not to go fully into battery and also make it very hard to eject a live round.

Would this be something i can set when i reassemble it?
Or is this a case of extractor needs to be modified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
something else to check is the length of your cases. No longer than .898".
I'll measure then, they had only been fired/reloaded once, had not measured them previously, was planning to do that on the second reload.
They are all from the same batch of factory Fiocchi.. I do't pickup other brass.

Quote:
Also, you may want to take a 357 case, inside champher it til the edge is sharp and scrape out the headspace ring.Sometimes, especially if your cases are shorter than the ring, crud will build up in the headspace ring(45ACP and all Semi-auto cartridges that're straightwalled, headspace on the case-mouth).
I'll look into it, but i don't think there's much carbon in there, it's been cleaned with brake cleaner before, but i'll check.

Quote:

Another thing, how many rounds on the Recoil spring?
About 700 Factory Fiocchi ball + around (600) softer reloads

How long should a spring last, and do you know what number Wolfs Spring goes in a PM7/45?

I did notice that the reloads with AA#7 seemed to make it dirtier then the Factory or VV N340 loads.. I was planning to discontinue the use of AA#7.. for this and other reasons (small flake, doesn't flow well in the power meter, the power also shakes out of the shells to easy on the 650, i generally don't like the AA7)

Thanks for all the tips Guys, i'm learning things here, much appreciated!

Last edited by svandamme; 02-09-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

Stijn, if you can get it I would recommend using Hodgdons' HP-38. It's the same powder as ww231 only less expensive. Burns very clean. Hodgdon owns the Winchester powder business now and all their powders are made by Hodgdon.

AA-7 is actually a little slow for the 45ACP, this and other powders at this point on the Burn-Chart may be what's causing your problem. 45ACP is a low intensity cartridge and powders for it should be on the fast side. There's not enough pressure-build to burn slower powders. If you want to stick with Alliant powder, I would recommend AA-5.

As for your spring, it should last about 3000 rounds or so, should be a 16lb.spring and the closed-end should go around the Guide-rod for proper operation.

What are using to lube the slide with? Either run it wet or use a good gun-grease like Plastilube or Tetra-Lube.

At this point, it seems that you have a fairly new gun and it's just breaking in. However, unburnt powder from the AA-7 and the lube you're using could be forming a sludge that's slowing down the slide.

One more thing it might be, what is your crimp diameter at the casemouth, should measure .470-.472.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Waits; 02-09-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

The last of the AA7 is out , i'm sticking with the N340 now, but i'll get some faster VV next time.. VihtaVuori lists N320 , N340 and N350, i went with the middle.

Spring was/is installed as you describe

No lube, just plenty of FP10, it sweats when it warms, so i'm pretty sure it's wet enough

I'll check the crimp over the weekend, I'm loading 5-600 rounds , brass is tumbling as we speak..

Last edited by svandamme; 02-09-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Stijn, if you can get it I would recommend using Hodgdons' HP-38. It's the same powder as ww231 only less expensive. Burns very clean. Hodgdon owns the Winchester powder business now and all their powders are made by Hodgdon.

AA-7 is actually a little slow for the 45ACP, this and other powders at this point on the Burn-Chart may be what's causing your problem. 45ACP is a low intensity cartridge and powders for it should be on the fast side. There's not enough pressure-build to burn slower powders. If you want to stick with Alliant powder, I would recommend AA-5.

As for your spring, it should last about 3000 rounds or so, should be a 16lb.spring and the closed-end should go around the Guide-rod for proper operation.

What are using to lube the slide with? Either run it wet or use a good gun-grease like Plastilube or Tetra-Lube.

At this point, it seems that you have a fairly new gun and it's just breaking in. However, unburnt powder from the AA-7 and the lube you're using could be forming a sludge that's slowing down the slide.

One more thing it might be, what is your crimp diameter at the casemouth, should measure .470-.472.

Dave
See what I mean?? This guy is a genius!!

Lane

Dungeon Master - LASCO Leather, Home of the COTEP Deacon
COTEP #268
Old 02-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

svandamme,

Here's a good test when working up a new load or using a new bullet.

Remove barrel from slide, drop new round in chamber.

The round should be flush with the end of the barrel and should make a nice ping sound.

If it makes a thud, and the head (back of round) of the bullet isn't flush with the barrel, the bullet could be hitting the lands (rifling) of the barrel.

There are a couple things to look at.

1) case length. 2) Over all length. 3) undersized chamber 4) bad bullet profile.

Hope you get it worked out.

Greg

Last edited by GoldenVolt; 02-09-2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 02-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Greg, i do check those things, not all of them but i random pick a few out of every batch i make. And i sort my brass in batches per times loaded.
So all my bras should have had the same service life throughout the batch.

That being said , once i had it the first time, the same failure also occurs with factory ammo. I'm not sure if the reload is the cause of it, it's just that i usually shoot reloads...
The factory rounds i would think those are in fact correctly sized, so it's not clear at this time, if the issue could happen if i just shoot a box of factory ammo..
I'll also give that a try next time, got me a 1000 rd box of mag tech on the way anyway for my strategic reserve
Old 02-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

and as for consistency of the loads..

This was @ 25 meters , did not take to much time for it :

(i did rested my hands on the bench for that, no, i'm not zorry )
Old 02-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Dave's points are good but seems to be more a cartridge dimension or gun issue than powder as slide is not always going into battery. And if it happens with factory loads, then it seems more gun related. If chamber is clean, is it possible chamber is on the minimum spec length? I have a Razorback that does that and I have to reload on the shorter OAL than my other 8 10mm handguns (still hangs up on unfired round once in a while). Extractor needs tuning? Rounds hanging up on slide release when feeding from mag (should not make slide hard to pull back tho)? Different mag might help feeding (again fact slide is hard to pull back is a key symptom that does not fit mag issue)? Once round is fed and in battery and slide issue is a major point. Not sure I have helped any.

I have used dozens of different powders including AA7 with no significant issues. Actually most of Hodgdon's powders are made by ADI in Australia.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Founding Member
Admimberistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by svandamme View Post
Would this be something i can set when i reassemble it?
Or is this a case of extractor needs to be modified?
See third paragraph here:
http://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=566