COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 02-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I think the slide being hard to pull back this the key.

I did get a bad batch of bullets, They did hit the lands of the rifling.
The slide stopped about 1/8" of going into full battery.
Some I could push the slide forward and others I'd have to pull so hard that the casing flew out, the powder all over the floor and the bullet dropped out of the mag well.

After that I had Extractor problems...... all caused by me.

I guess I'm out of suggestions. Sorry.

Greg
Old 02-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Location: Belgium , In Flanders Fields where the poppies blow

But if the bullet would hit the lands, i "should" see marks of that, right?

I don't think i noticed any, but then again, i didn't look for em either.
I'll make sure to check if it happens again, and if it does happen again, i'm keeping the problem round for post analysis.

Cleaned my brass today, all tumbled, deprimed, flash holes cleaned, lubed and ready to do a batch tomorrow.

I also got me digital caliper, had a regular one, but that's to slow to measure more things in series..

Already measured a number of shells from tomorrows batch, doesn't look like case length is an issue at all, they are all well within tolerances, there is no noticicable stretch after been fired twice (1x factory load, 1x softer reload)
Old 02-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

Okay, let's step back and get some more info. Take the gun down, just fieldstrip it. Stick a magazine into the well and lock it in place. Now, looking down on the frame take a pic then back away a little and take another with the rails in the picture. Now, put it back together, remove the mag, lock the slide back and take a picture looking into the chamber.

Another thing, what is the overall length of your reloads? What is the overall length of the fiocchi rounds. If you could, take a pic from the side holding the barrel with the chamber straight up and a round dropped into it. Do it with both rounds.

BTW, How's Jean-Claude doing?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
Okay, let's step back and get some more info. Take the gun down, just fieldstrip it. Stick a magazine into the well and lock it in place. Now, looking down on the frame take a pic then back away a little and take another with the rails in the picture. Now, put it back together, remove the mag, lock the slide back and take a picture looking into the chamber.

Not entirely sure what you wanted to see, but if this doesn't cover it, let me know.

Quote:

Another thing, what is the overall length of your reloads? What is the overall length of the fiocchi rounds.

Went and bought a digital caliper, with inch/mm for easy posting

case lenght inch mm

Fiocchi 1.252 31.82
reload 200 grain LSWC 1.268 32.23
reload 230 grain ball 1.258 31.94

Case neck/crimp

Fiocchi 0.469 11.92
reload LSWC 0.470 11.95
reload ball 0.471 11.97

so my LSWC seem a bit long, but those never gave me any problem.
It's always been with them 230 grain copper plated ball loads "as far as i remember".

crimp looks fine ?

Quote:
If you could, take a pic from the side holding the barrel with the chamber straight up and a round dropped into it. Do it with both rounds.
fiocchi

230 grain reload

Quote:
BTW, How's Jean-Claude doing?
Oh, JC, well, he's allright i think.. his real name is ean-Claude Camille François Van Varenberg , which is why he took my name and stole my thunder.

On a positive note, i ran about 500 rnds of reloads through the Dillon yesterday, hardly any hickups or problems.
No missed or crushed primers, just 2 primers that weren't seated deep enough.

Since before this i only had a couple of 100 and 200 round runs, with plenty of hickups, i was quite happy to do a big run properly.
I'm getting the hang of it.

I did not deprime in this run, i deprimed before, i think that helped to smooth things out a bit.
The depriming station seems finicky on previous runs, the case doesn't always line up properly and that throws the routine out of wack.

Last edited by svandamme; 02-12-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Stijn,

In photo #3 and 4 it looks like the bullet jumped the ejector.

I believe that the way you placed them for the pictures. And has nothing to do with the problem.

One thing you mentioned are the LSWC, 200 grain LSWC 1.268 32.23 is kind of long. My max is 1.232 or 31.29

Greg
Old 02-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

Stijn, I'm sorry I wasn't clear in my post. What I wanted was for you to remove the barrel, hold it chamber-end straight up and drop a round in.

As for your OALs, you want to run as long as you can. I run everything at 1.265 with a .470-.472" crimp(I don't use swcs). I think your LSWC are correct, that's why you never had any problem with them.

Try this, run a small batch of your 230grain reloads at 1.265. Let me know if they feed for you, I think your rounds may be too short because your magazine has long feedlips.

Stijn, and everybody else who reloads; Remember, the 1911 was designed to feed FMJ rounds at 1.265 OAL. With any round you load, the closer to that length you are, the better it will feed unless you're using Wadcutter magazines. These are easy to spot as the feedlips are very short compared to a standard or even a hybrid magazine feedlip.

Last edited by Dave Waits; 02-12-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:04 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I kinda haven't got much 230 grain ball left to load and them LSWC's are 50% cheaper (and great for 25 meter bullseye).

Got me a case of 1000 Mag Tech 230 grain FMJ ball on the way, i i think i'll stick with the 200 grain LSWC's for practice and volume, and keep the factory stuff for zombies and for rapidfire/double tap practice (i prefer factory for rapid fire).

Got about 30-40 of them HN 230 grain reloads left, i'll run em through next weekend. Then factory ball only.

I made about 500 of them LSWC's last weekend, so i'll see how that works , i doubt i'll get the issue again with those and if i do, i'll have a few more things to look at and i'll keep the bullet that initiated the jam for analysis.

Many thanks for the tips so far, even though the troubleshoot isn't conclusive yet, it's been a great help.
Will post my results on the next visit to the range.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Went to the range, shot about 60 200 grain LSWC, couple of mags Fiocchi Ball,
Then the last 20 of them 230 grain loads i think caused the previous jams.

Either way , no jam today..

Then i ran through a box of 50 Mag Tech, 200 grain LSWC
And i mean ran through, rapid fire, just letting her rip with 5 mags filled to the max. 8 rds each...

My oh my, that Mag Tech ammo is fire and brimstone, i'm talking big boom, plenty of sparks and smoke coming out the front end it wasn't pretty.

but the gun did not jam

At this point i'm convinced that the gun is not the cause, there must have been something wrong with one of those reloads.. I just don't know what, nor do i understand the mechanics of the failure/jam.

I did get me a shooting chrony, so i can measure my loads, better quality control.
To bad it didn't work with the indoor lighting @ the range, fluorescent lights
should have read the manual before hand.. gonna find me some LED strips to put on the diffusor, that ougtta do the trick.