COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Pulling The Trigger > Range Reports

Old 10-31-2014, 08:07 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Default Range Report G30 Gen 2

Second range report. First one was on the Walther PPS. This one is on the Glock 30, 45 acp. 10 round magazine. Generation 2.5 (Has finger grooves, but not a rail) Glock made some like this during the transition to Gen 3. Price is in the $250 range.

What can I say. It's a Glock. Its a brick. Its Glugly looking. This particular firearm was manufactured in 1997. So it's 17 years old. It's 45 acp.

And its all good. I think doing a range report on a 17 year old gun is valuable in that we all know what people say about a NEW gun.... but what does it do for us today, in our hands, as "normal" gun owners after some years.

There are no marks on the gun. NONE. No scratches, no dings, nothing. The bore was brilliant after its initial cleaning and inspection. Included in the case was a older slide release that had lost some of its coating, but obviously it had been replaced. Came with one ten round mag.

Shooting. After 5 magazines, All I had left to shoot at in the 10 ring was one jagged hole. Absolutely no stray shots. The double stack magazine in 45 made the grip too thick for my hands, but it didn't effect my shooting accuracy as much as the Walther PPS's grip affected my shooting.

Internals were spotless, standard Glock quality. I wouldn't use this for bicycle riding, it's almost twice as thick as the Walther PPS, and probably twice the weight. I don't see it as having a place in my IWB carry either. I DO see it for its original intended use: The semi auto under the Detective's jacket. This is no ankle holster gun.

Recoil was exactly what I've come to love from the 45. A gentle, but firm "push" back into my hand. Up against the smaller PPS, there is no comparison. The Glock shoots and feels better.

As I said in my PPS report, I was looking for a polymer frame, lightweight striker fired pistol to keep with me while I bike ride. My friends.... This one ain't it! I wouldn't even carry this in the winter under my coat unless I had to. Not because its not accurate, but because of its thickness and weight, I would rather carry a 1911 variant.

Customer Service: Hats off to Glock in GA!! I can send the gun directly to them for free "inspection and upgrade." They will look the gun over, replace all worn parts. They told me: "If its black and inside the action, it will be replaced with new parts." Which is pretty much all the internals. If I want to upgrade the frame to a rail gun, they'll do that for $100.

Glock also passed the "free magazine" test. "So.... this came with one magazine. Any chance you can send me another one as a courtesy?".... Answer: "Not for the G30, but I got a few G21 mags sitting at my desk, would you like them?" The Glock 21 mags fit and fire flawlessly. I brought four from my secret Glock stash to the range with me.

Manual, free mags, free upgrade and whatever else the Customer care people can send. Not bad. Not bad at all.....

So what can I say about this Glock? Its going to be a great nightstand firearm, and one that my wife will probably enjoy shooting too. Yes, its a keeper, especially at the price point.

Thanks for reading this through!
Da
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DaFadda For This Useful Post:
BlackKnight (10-31-2014), Caleb (10-31-2014), dw1911 (11-02-2014), RKP (10-31-2014), sdmc530 (10-31-2014), skosh69 (11-01-2014), Xbonz (11-02-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 10:16 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

nice write up padre!
Old 10-31-2014, 10:32 AM
COTEP Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
nice write up padre!
^ This !
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:19 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Man, where are you getting these guns for so cheap? Lol....nice write up, again Sir.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:26 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCaleb View Post
Man, where are you getting these guns for so cheap? Lol....nice write up, again Sir.
Clean living.... and being in the right place at the right time !
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:08 PM
COTEP Member

Nice write up. But a

Good judgment comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgment.

If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:00 PM
COTEP Member

Real nice write-up, Mike......The G30 was a pet project of Gaston Glock. Whatever he did those G30's are fabulously accurate. I had a 2006 G30 that I had the grip reduced by Lane Owens. The gun shot like a dream, with more of a bulky 1911 grip after the reduction. Sold it to a friend who still has it and carries it daily. Good luck with that G30, it's a keeper.

BTW----I got $650 for mine with five extra mags. My friend set the price. You could probably do well with a Gen 2 if you ever sell.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 11-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpaul50 View Post
Nice write up. But a
This ^^^

And where are the pics????

Old 11-02-2014, 07:02 AM
COTEP Member

Glad you like it, as Joe mentioned, the g30's are tack drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

"The mind is the limiting factor"
Old 11-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,547 Times in 465 Posts
Default Ditto on the report, but ...........

Thomas Jefferson
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Thomas Jefferson