COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > News and Politics

Old 10-05-2017, 10:17 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts
Default NRA Backs Restrictions!!!!!

WTF!!!! There's a step in the wrong direction !

NRA support for restricting ‘bump stocks’ reflects impact of Las Vegas massacre - The Washington Post
https://apple.news/AtjE0tye4Q0yroq3PzWbRfQ
dw1911 (10-17-2017), FfNJGTFO (10-06-2017), Gatorade (10-19-2017), sdmc530 (10-17-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 07:51 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
WTF!!!! There's a step in the wrong direction !

NRA support for restricting ‘bump stocks’ reflects impact of Las Vegas massacre - The Washington Post
https://apple.news/AtjE0tye4Q0yroq3PzWbRfQ
Very bad precedent. I guess they may be thinking that if we give them "bump stocks" we can get something from them, next time. Do they not understand how the anti's work? You give them an inch now, they'll take a mile the next time!

Do I need a bump stock? No. What I really need is for the anits to *not* gain any momentum! That's what I need.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:38 AM
COTEP Member

My hope is the NRA realizes this so they are playing along with this bit of political theater for political gain down the road, knowing that it probably will not pass. The NRA did state that they are hoping for an ATF solution rather than a congressional one.

An outright ban, is impossible to enforce. People will just remove them, but probably not destroy them....They aren't serialized. Who knows who has what?

Plus they can be 3D printed easily.....

The only way to really regulate them is to treat them as yet another NFA item, like a machine gun, SBR, or suppressor, requiring a Form 1 to make and a Form 4 to sell.....

Which would force them to open the registry.

Which would likely force an amnesty......

At that point, want a M16? Buy a lower, fill out a Form 1 and pay your 200 tax...

To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:41 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFJuvat View Post
My hope is the NRA realizes this so they are playing along with this bit of political theater for political gain down the road, knowing that it probably will not pass. The NRA did state that they are hoping for an ATF solution rather than a congressional one.

An outright ban, is impossible to enforce. People will just remove them, but probably not destroy them....They aren't serialized. Who knows who has what?

Plus they can be 3D printed easily.....

The only way to really regulate them is to treat them as yet another NFA item, like a machine gun, SBR, or suppressor, requiring a Form 1 to make and a Form 4 to sell.....

Which would force them to open the registry.

Which would likely force an amnesty......

At that point, want a M16? Buy a lower, fill out a Form 1 and pay your 200 tax...

I understand their play, give and take. But, do you really think the anti's will give anything in return? Hell no! This will only show signs of weakness. Your boy Trump said there will be no more attacks against our gun rights.....I hope he shuts this shit down immediately.

If you give them an inch.....well, you know the rest.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:41 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I saw this coming a mile away.

We don't even know for sure how many bump stocks are involved.
I have read different accounts saying anywhere from 1 to 12 of the rifles had bump stocks and 1 to 10 of the rifles were fully auto. Unfortunately, this battle is already lost in the court of public opinion. It doesn't matter what the constitutional issues are, bump stocks are history as unregulated items. If we can make gains elsewhere, like universal reciprocity and deregulated suppressors, then let the bump stocks be a sacrificial lamb.

I think the absolute best we can hope for is that bump stocks become a Class III item.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 10-06-2017, 10:42 AM
COTEP Member

I don't think it has much of a chance of actually passing at the federal level.

In any case, I stopped renewing my NRA membership when the hats and other items they sent on renewal were no longer made in the USA, but made in China.

To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:58 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

A while back they had a special on lifetime memberships and I jumped on it. At the time I was competing regularly, and NRA membership was required.

I have let them know in no uncertain terms that I have paid all I'm going to pay, and I am retired with a fixed income, so don't bother trying to get any more money from me.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 10-06-2017, 12:19 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

I called the NRA this morning and gave them my opinion. They didn't seem to care what I thought. Might be my last year as a member.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:08 PM
COTEP Member

There's nothing to be gained from the left when it comes to gun issues. They'll never give an inch. the NRA is doing political posturing looking supportive of a measure that really doesn't affect the vast majority of gun owners.

This measure will no doubt fail as legislative action. Unless it becomes an NFA item which there's no indication the ATF will act on this. this way the NRA looks like it's supporting a " common sense" gun control measure that has very little chance of ever becoming law.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:22 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

, I understand what your saying, and I get they are putting on the "front" of NRA making these kind of decisions BUT what if it would pass? What if they turn this in to bigger legislation? Its a lot of what ifs of course but its a very slippery slope to me.