COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > News and Politics

Old 01-22-2015, 03:39 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

OK, I have a Texas and Oklahoma permit. Which other permit should I get to make it 50 states, less the commie states, of course.

COTEP #719

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
Old 01-22-2015, 03:45 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

You could get the Utah license which is recognized by 32 states if that'll help.
Kentucky Colonel
Retired Motor Officer
Old 01-22-2015, 07:00 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipersnest View Post
You don't have to prove a need to be issued an LTC in Mass. You're required to take and pass a course in order to apply for one, and out of staters can apply for a non-resident license as well. As long as you're licensed in your home state and are participating in a sanctioned shoot, or traveling through you don't need a Mass. license. The one year mandatory (which was not supposed to be plea bargained away) has never been utilized in the courts I was involved with, and for some strange reason all those signs at the borders of Mass. declaring a one year mandatory have been removed. So there!
Good to hear and I hope you are correct and they are indeed changing. I am not trying to start an internet pissing contest just saying that for my needs the Feds are, at this point, where I need to be while some states are not. I believe it should be a state licensing issue but while there are some states that would prefer to be protection free zones there is a lot of work for interested citizens to do, Mass. among them.
NRA Life Member

I stand for the flag, I kneel for the fallen!

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:00 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Up. The chief of police is the issuing authority for LTC's. The problem is each chief has his/her little fiefdom and does things their way. Contrary to what the statute reads, some chiefs add things to the requirements, such as you must qualify every renewal, you must belong to a gun club, some will only issue a Class B and if you're a "good boy" they might bump you up to a class A, when you renew in 5 years. The state recommends the license be issued for all lawful purposes and some chiefs will only issue for target and hunting or sporting purposes. Sporting purposes?? Does that mean for golfers, ball players, etc.? I handled licensing for my department and our chief although being on the left of center, was surprisingly very liberal when it came to issuing licenses. The executive office of public safety has warned the chiefs to comply with written statute or they could lose the authority to issue licenses to the state police. The EOPS has an approved list of firearms which conflicts with the anti-gun Harshbarger who was the attorney general who came up with his own list. He has since been prosecuted and admitted that what he did was illegal, but it's still on the books. Massachusetts........the name says it all!
Kentucky Colonel
Retired Motor Officer
Old 01-24-2015, 05:45 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE2 View Post
OK, I have a Texas and Oklahoma permit. Which other permit should I get to make it 50 states, less the commie states, of course.
You'll never get fifty states...the northeast is out for the most part, probly California too unless very limited.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 01-24-2015, 07:16 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

and I have all 50 states, its called the LEO exemption
Old 01-24-2015, 07:53 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
and I have all 50 states, its called the LEO exemption
Yaaaaahhhh, not so much.....on paper ya do.....Hawaii will not honor your badge, and good luck in NYC. I know of problems in those two states. For the record I think you guys should be totally exempt, but you would be surprised how many states won't give professional consideration. I know of the two I mentioned for sure....have heard of a recent rift between South Carolina and Florida. Am sure there are others, not worth digging up. The South Carolina/Florida rift originates from LEO's speeding on the I-95 corridor. The Hawaii problem was from LEO's from Hawaii being on the mainland and not receiving professional consideration, so they stopped giving consideration, on Oahu anyway. Times are changing in Hawaii, women that have been raped are filing lawsuits for concealed carry, but the old guard is fighting them. Once the new guard completely takes over it will change quickly. I lived there, have family there, so I keep up on Hawaii.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 01-24-2015, 08:20 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I've been to NYC as it's across the river for me and they always extend curtesy to me and many of LEO's especially if you go to sporting events.
While I've neem to Hawaii twice I've yet to take my gun there.
There's a difference between professionally curtesy and giving you a hard time about carrying. Many southern states do not give professionally curtesy to their own let alone to our northern brothers, but the issue of carrying has never been an issue.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:38 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Besides is a law: They have to honor it.

What the Law Enforcement Safety Act (HR 218) Allows

A qualified active or retired law enforcement officer who has photographic identification issued by their employing agency may carry a concealed firearm transported across state lines.
The Fine Print

Additional Requirement for Retired Officers

Retired officers must also bring state issued documentation that they qualified with the weapon they are carrying within the last 12 months.

Federal Land and Buildings

This law exempts officers from state and local laws concerning concealed carry but not Federal laws. HR 218 does not exempt you on:

Aircraft
Federal buildings
Federal property
National Parks

Private Property, State and Local Government Land and Buildings

The law also grants states the authority to:

Permit private property owners to restrict concealed firearms on their property
Permit state and local governments to restrict concealed firearms on state or local government property.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:23 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Under LEOSA, being a retired hired gun, I have to qualify annually. Although it's a federal statute I have heard some stories about officers running into trouble in other states, like New York and New Jersey. In New Jersey Hollow Points are a felony and police officers aren't even allowed to have them (so I'm told). I read in P1 that an officer was arrested in New York when he was napping in a rest area and was carrying. I've never had an issue anywhere I went carrying nationwide, but then I carry concealed and unless one is acting like an a$$hole, who's to know you're packing? I always gave courtesy of the shield when dealing with out of state officers, because like me, I'm sure they've put bad people away who're looking to get revenge.
Kentucky Colonel
Retired Motor Officer