COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > News and Politics

Old 01-23-2015, 01:49 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts
Unhappy Florida toddler shoots himself

COME ON PEOPLE, LOCK THOSE GUNS UP WHEN KIDS ARE AROUND!!!!

Quote:
TARPON SPRINGS, Fla. – A Tampa Bay area toddler is dead after finding his father's .380-caliber handgun in the family's car Wednesday afternoon and shooting himself, officials said.
This statement below I disagree with. Yes, they'll punish themselves, but they also need to face criminal charges as well!

Quote:
The sheriff said the parents won't face criminal charges — no one could punish them more than they'll punish themselves, he said.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/22...-car-deputies/
Old 01-23-2015, 02:13 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Having lost a child of my own, although she was a grown woman at the time, I agree that they cannot be punished beyond what has happened.

The state could try and convict them, send them to jail, but no one can cut them so deeply as the loss of a child.

TEACH YOUR CHILDREN GUN SAFETY. At 3 years old, my grandson, could tell you my first rules of gun safety: Always loaded, never point at anything you don't want to destroy.

If you lock the guns up they become a temptation. TEACH YOUR CHILDREN WELL!!! (Sorry for "yelling").

COTEP #719

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Last edited by TLE2; 01-23-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:32 PM
COTEP Member

Every kids wants a toy gun and to kids that age they all are toys, no matter what they have told. My 4 year old grandson will pick up a picture of a gun first no matter what other pictures are spread around, even ones of himself. is exactly right - lock the guns and all ammo up, every one, all the time, loaded or not. I agree that losing a child, no matter how, has to be beyond any other punishment, especially if due to your own carelessness. I do not know how people go on after something like this. I don't know about jail but it seems that they might even want to do community service talking to civic, school and other groups, adult and children on the importance of practicing firearm safety. There is no greater obligation than keeping our kids safe.
NRA Life Member

I stand for the flag, I kneel for the fallen!

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Last edited by pony up; 01-23-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:28 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

that's where that woman was raised. Sad deal
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 01-23-2015, 05:33 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE2 View Post
Having lost a child of my own, although she was a grown woman at the time, I agree that they cannot be punished beyond what has happened.

The state could try and convict them, send them to jail, but no one can cut them so deeply as the loss of a child.

TEACH YOUR CHILDREN GUN SAFETY. At 3 years old, my grandson, could tell you my first rules of gun safety: Always loaded, never point at anything you don't want to destroy.

If you lock the guns up they become a temptation. TEACH YOUR CHILDREN WELL!!! (Sorry for "yelling").
Michael, I'm sorry for your loss. No parent should out live their children.

My sister lost her only child, it'll be 5 yrs this April, he was an adult lime your daughter.

Not sure how you ever recover from that.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:38 PM
COTEP Member

Sad story....I agree that no parent could suffer more, or have to live with more self guilt or self hatred, the time served will be a lifetime. Some parents eventually kill themselves to be with their children.

In my house gun safety started at three years old. On the third birthday I took each kid out back, up in SC, with a .22 rifle. We shot actual objects that would show the damage caused by a bullet, and I would compare for them if this was their or someone else's hand, head, etc. I played helicopter parent while they shot until last year, nine years to the day our youngest started learning. Today my sons helicopter even adults shooting. They can detail strip/clean 1911'a, Glocks, Mossberg500's pump shotties but not their bedrooms.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!