COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 01-07-2022, 05:41 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO View Post
It's sad... I was hoping to be on "GETTR" as an alternative but, after some research, I've discovered its owners have ties to the CCP. So much for that, then. We'll see what Pres. Trump's Social Media account has to offer.
Just the opposite. The funding is from anti-CCP Chinese billionaire Miles Guo who is a fugitive from China. He is trying to overthrow the CCP.

The CCP has been engaging in a high level disinformation campaign against Guo and almost had Trump convinced at one point. A lot of phony charges have been brought against him, and he was wanted by Interpol (at China's behest) at one time.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

Last edited by DrHenley; 01-07-2022 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:06 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post
Just the opposite. The funding is from anti-CCP Chinese billionaire Miles Guo who is a fugitive from China. He is trying to overthrow the CCP.

The CCP has been engaging in a high level disinformation campaign against Guo and almost had Trump convinced at one point. A lot of phony charges have been brought against him, and he was wanted by Interpol (at China's behest) at one time.

I'm tending to believe this position more. I think the person who said what I quoted before referenced only one source... a source with which he was a member (Rumble is the site). He claims that Pres. Trump is on Rumble but not Gettr. That said, I see Gettr is still being advertised on Newsmax etc. I haven't yet seen if Pres. Trump has a presence on it yet, but I'll check.

Anyway, nevermind that, now. I'm off to the range again on Wed. to zero my RPR and be sure I'm good out to 100yds, and then I'll try for 200. I think I'll take the Long Range 201 course in May. Also get a little EDC Pistol practice, etc.

Will post a range report after I'm done.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:52 PM
COTEP Member

And the Range report as promised.

It was a beautiful day out. Just warming up to 70˚F, I decided to zero in the RPR again. But I made some changes which helped. I moved the scope more forward on the picatiny rail so I'd be able to align right on the cheek stock piece instead of behind it. That gave me almost perfect eye relief. I could, literally, close my eyes for 5 seconds and be right on target again.

I'm getting more comfortable making the adjustments on the scope for zeroing in. I got it to a point where I was able to get 3 shots in the black, but I know I'm still having "positional" issues where I'm just not quite getting a perfect cheek weld and a perfect stance that I can replicate. So my target accuracy is off slightly because of positioning. Still all of that 10 shot group was on target.

The problem came when I switched to the lower targets. I had put 4 AP-2 targets in portrait mode on a large coroplaast board behind two furring strips. I shot the upper right first, and did some gross zero adjusting on that. Then I switched to the upper left target and that's where I hit in the black. Then, I moved to the lower left target and it seemed like I hadn't even zeroed the rifle at all. All down and to the left. My shooting buddies on the line had two suggestions:

1) Get that cheek alignment and stance down cold and don't move it. It appears I may be moving the stock out of place on my shoulder when I switch down to the lower targets. Get that placement down cold and keep it there before zeroing again.

2) The load may be a bit much. I'm using 175gr Match Grade .308 Win. They are suggesting a lighter load (maybe 168gr). I'm not so sure about that one. If I can, I'd prefer to stay at 175gr. But I'm more than happy to get a box or two of 168 just to check it out. But, eventually, I'd want to go back to 175gr.

I ordered one of those Bipod easy levers so that I can keep the swivel much tighter than it has been (that's been a problem). So things are looking much better. I'll be focusing on the RPR on the range now, but I will begin AR15 Build #2 starting in February. Hopefully, I'll also be taking my "Long Range 201" course in May and start to get beyond 100 yards.

A good day was had by all!

Last edited by FfNJGTFO; 01-31-2022 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:53 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,477 Times in 714 Posts

We used 168 grain in the Corps and I've stuck with it for the most part
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 01-21-2022, 05:28 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
We used 168 grain in the Corps and I've stuck with it for the most part
There's a lot of load data and match grade ammo in 168. All my ballistic data is for that grain.
I've shot accurately and consistently to a 1,000 yards with 168.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 01-31-2022, 10:07 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
There's a lot of load data and match grade ammo in 168. All my ballistic data is for that grain.
I've shot accurately and consistently to a 1,000 yards with 168.

Bipod Lever installed. It does make a difference. Will order some 168 Shortly.

Hope to start Build #2 within the coming week.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:21 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

My Remmy likes the 168 Federal Gold Medal Match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2022, 07:16 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,477 Times in 714 Posts

Short of the custom Lake City we used, Black Hills match 168 grain is the best I've found for factory ammo
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 02-01-2022, 08:26 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
Short of the custom Lake City we used, Black Hills match 168 grain is the best I've found for factory ammo
Have you tried Federal Matchking? If so, how do they compare? I've only used Federal.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:18 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
Have you tried Federal Matchking? If so, how do they compare? I've only used Federal.

I've seen Federal Matchking 168gr on Ammoseek for as low as $1.68 per round. I'll check them out.