COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 02-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Changing the front sight on my S/A Range Officer

I just bought a Hi-Viz sight to put on the front, but removing the stock dovetail sight is a bit confusing. It looks like there is a tiny allen screw at the front of the sight, I guess it's a lock-down pin or something like that, but it is smaller than my smallest allen wrench- 1/16th. Looks like half that size, like a 1/32 or something. Does anyone know exactly what size it is, and if it has to be loosened/removed before drifting out the dovetail?
Old 02-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Probably a roll pin (1/16") ... please look closely to verify. If it is, remove the barrel, bushing, etc and punch it through from outside to in. Same setup as Dan Wesson. If you properly fit and Loktite the new sight, you won't need it anymore.

Mike

Addicted to Pulling the Trigger!

COTEP No. 0265
Old 02-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

BTW ... I have the HiVis front sight on a compensated Springer and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

COTEP No. 0265
Old 02-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I was watching this video, and the guy says if it has the pin, you have to drill it out if you want to keep the sight for later use. But then he says it's not a problem if you don't want to keep it, just drift it out, and the pin will shear off. Seems to me you can shear it off and drill it later, though it's probably easier to drill it while still on the slide. Before I do any drilling, I want to make sure I understand it right.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I have never had to drill one or shear one. I use a roll pin punch that is shortened to about 1/2 an inch. They generally come right out. Just did one on a Valor last week for a friend. I understand your trepidation though ... it might be best to bring it to a local shop if you are unsure ... don't mark up that beautiful pistol!

COTEP No. 0265
Old 02-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I used a 1/16 drill bit to punch out the pin, then the sight came out with little exertion. I had to do a little fitting on the new sight, but I don't think it's the right one. Although the package said it was for a Springer, I don't think it's for a 1911. Looks to be for the XDm. But it fits for now, and until I get the right one, it's going to stay. It works great.
I broke the nylon punch on it, that I bought especially for the project. So I had to resort to brass, and as you know, brass leaves marks. After some scrubbing, I've got most of the brass marks out of it. I'll get the rest out this weekend, after I take it to the range and clean it.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

If by not fitting perfectly you mean that the bottom of the sight (base) does not conform to the top of the slide (contour) then I will tell you that it is exactly the same on mine. It bothered me at first but I have learned to live with it. I don't understand why it's like that but so be it.

I'm really glad you were able to get the new sight fit.

Enjoy it!

Mike

COTEP No. 0265
Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

By the way, the punch didn't actually break on the sight. While I was doing some light filing on the sight, the punch rolled off the bench and hit the concrete floor and broke. I wasn't slamming the punch against the sight, as my post may have sounded upon a re-read.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

, no such thing as 'Drop-in' parts. They all will require some fitting most times. The best way to fit a front dovetail sight is to take everything off the bottom with a fine file.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
, no such thing as 'Drop-in' parts. They all will require some fitting most times. The best way to fit a front dovetail sight is to take everything off the bottom with a fine file.
Yeah, that's basically what I did. I filed a little, fit again, file a little more, then fit it again, etc. The 1/16" punch did the trick. Thanks for the tip on that! I just need to stop by the store and pick up a bluing pen to touch up the edges a little.

I ended up having to use a brass punch, and have a little brass on the slide. What's the best solvent to take that off without damaging the bluing?