COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > Long Guns

Old 12-31-2018, 05:59 AM
COTEP Member

You getting 'antsy' yet?
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:15 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

Contact rifle manufacturer see what bullet weight they suggest for your rifle. Also make sure scope is set up properly. for example torque specs on most Mil spec rifle scopes are from 12 to 15 inch pounds and stock to metal parts are 30 to 40 inch pounds.
Most of all practice makes pefect and use the same brass and bullets all the time when you get your optics sighted in.............

Old 01-01-2019, 12:11 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Today I made sure that my reticle was leveled to the rifle. Hold up...... didn’t I level the scope to the rifle already? Yes, yes I did. BUT, that doesn’t mean the reticle is level with the scope. So, I put a plumb line on a wall and leveled the rifle. With a scope of 8-32x56, there is no way to back up far enough to be able to look through the scope to line up to the plumb line. So, a neat little trick from a forum member (different forum) lets you check it with only a few feet of distance. Basically, you can shine a light backwards through the scope to project the reticle onto the wall where you have your plumb line set up. This will tell you if your reticle is level with the rifle. I was lucky and mine was so, no adjustments necessary. I did have my bubble level off a little bit. Fixed that and now I’m ready to rock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2019, 08:48 AM
COTEP Member

Very nice !!
What bi-pod are you using?
Having never used quick detach scope mounts ... once removed and reinstalled does the scope hold its 'sighted in position' like expected to?
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:55 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKP View Post
Very nice !!
What bi-pod are you using?
Having never used quick detach scope mounts ... once removed and reinstalled does the scope hold its 'sighted in position' like expected to?
I have a 30-06 that have flip over scope rings. You can flip them off to one side to use the iron sights. I think its made by weaver. Problem was every time you flipped over the scope then put it back you had to figure out where you shooting all over again. Design was good, execution was not so good.

Quick release would be good if the tolerances are very good....I like the idea. Cool bud
Old 01-01-2019, 10:53 AM
COTEP Member

Bipod is a good old Harris. The quick release rings are not my choice but, it’s all I had in “low” rings laying around. I don’t plan on removing the scope since this is a dedicated long range rig. Eventually I will purchase non release rings and replace these.

Can repeatable zero be achieved with quick release mounts? Sure. Does it usually happen? Doubt it.?

Old 01-01-2019, 11:12 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Bipod is a good old Harris ...... Can repeatable zero be achieved with quick release mounts? Sure. Does it usually happen? Doubt it.?
Was thinking the same on both ^^.
COTEP #762

Old 01-03-2019, 02:15 PM
COTEP Member

First chance to take this bad boy out to 100yds is this weekend (Jan 5-6) but, I will be at an Appleseed Project event, hopefully earning a “Rifleman” badge.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:52 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Nice....can't wait to hear how it shoots
Old 01-03-2019, 05:22 PM
COTEP Member

Looking forward to your first range report bud !!
COTEP #762